external voltage regulator install help - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
external voltage regulator install help

I'm going to install an external voltage regulator and will be using Mopar1973Man's voltage regulator mod instructions from his website. In the instructions it states to get an ignition source from the output of the ASD relay. Where is the ASD relay located and how do I connect to the output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

The asd relay is in the pdc under the hood. Thats the fuse box if you like behind the drivers side battery. I don't know about connecting to it. I presume Mike means finding a live power source from the asd when the key is on and it goes dead with the key off.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
I'm going to install an external voltage regulator and will be using Mopar1973Man's voltage regulator mod instructions from his website. In the instructions it states to get an ignition source from the output of the ASD relay. Where is the ASD relay located and how do I connect to the output?
Ok...

Just hook the blue wire of the regulator back to the blue wire of the alternator currently. Then the green wire on the alternator you remove and hook up the new green wire from the external regulator to the alternator. But make sure to ground the new regulator or damage to the regulator will occur.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mike, where does the +12V keyed wire get hooked up? Your instructions say the ASD relay. Also, what gauge wire should I use?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Blue wire of the alternator should work too. 16-18 AWG is fine.

As long as the blue wire is hooked to 12V key on it should work. Green wire should only be hooked to the alternator nothing else.

I guess I need to update that article... (updated!)
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Voltage Regulator Mod

Stock wiring...

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 12-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thanks Mike. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow now that the weather is going to finally cooperate.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mike, I hooked everything up like the instructions but I'm having problems.
Turned the key on to wait for the "wait to start" light to go out. Volt gauge only went up to about 9. Light went out and started up. Volts went to about 12 and when the grids came on, it went down to about 10 and then back to about 12 when grids kicked off. Took it for a short drive and the volt would not go over 12. When I got back home, I popped the hood and the alternator was very hot and I could smell it.

Maybe I don't have everything hooked up right?

I cut the 2 blue and green wires of the stock harness that plugs into the alternator and then spliced in the wires from the regulator to the harness so it would make an easy plug in. That left just the cut blue and green wires from the stock alternator harness. I spliced into the blue wire that goes between the regulator and alternator and hooked it up to the blue wire I had cut from the stock alternator harness to get the keyed 12V power.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Picture of voltage regulator mounted to firewall.

Picture of connections at alternator. Also shows ground wire to alternator from voltage regulator (black wire with red insulation)

Picture of where I tapped blue wire between voltage regulator and alternator to go to blue wire of stock alternator blue wire for keyed 12V.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Anybody know what I have hooked up wrong? I need to get this fixed this morning or I'm going to have to put it back the way it was before and deal with the irratic voltage and pulsing gauge/dash lights.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Why would one need to put in an external voltage regulator?

Isn't the PCM supposed to do this?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Why would one need to put in an external voltage regulator?

Isn't the PCM supposed to do this?
This is a poor mans way of getting you alternator back without paying a arm and leg for a PCM replacement because the internal regulator has failed.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
This is a poor mans way of getting you alternator back without paying a arm and leg for a PCM replacement because the internal regulator has failed.
Gotcha...

Once this is added, will it keep the alternator running while the grid heaters cycle, or will that function still remain?

I have a feeling that if the alternator was still supplying power when the grids kicked in it'd shorten the life of the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.