Block heater question??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Block heater question???

So, winter time is coming up and i have another block heater question. So lets say i plug my truck in overnight while the outside temp is 34 or below, Is it okay to leave it plugged in after i start it to help it continue to warm up or will this damage something? The reason i ask is i have remote start and i live in an apartment so in the mornings it's nice and easy to sit inside and start the truck a while before i leave for work.
'01 2500 lar qcsb, leveled 4x4 auto trans(stock). S&b intake, Puke bottle delete, Mbrp 4in. ex, Silencer ring mia, remote start, B&M Trans Pan, Phantom Gauges, edge juiced w/hot unlock, raptor 150. 82k miles. With a pappy cap on.
sphunter4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
HOPELESS ROMANTIC.

Thanked 4,800 Times in 3,503 Posts
I heard that it wasnt good to have the truck running and plugged in. My theory would be, the whole purpose of the Block Heater and plug is to assist with starting, Help with cold starts. So When you start the truck I dont think having it plugged in would even help it get warmer faster. You could go the route if you want, getting a 3 cylinder high idle, the truck will idle faster, and warm up faster. Then when its all warmed up, you just turn it back to normal idle.
Psalm 26:1-12.
Psalm 62:1-8
Know Christ, Know peace. No Christ, No peace.
"Circumstances don't create character; they reveal character. Arm yourself today with the integrity of Christ."
DieselDon16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,427 Times in 961 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
As long as you don't forget it's plugged in your good... But really you don't want to let your truck idle more than a minute in cold weather. It's not as hard on your VP truck as newer ones, but cold idling is never good. Your easiest on the motor if you start it, unplug, get in and drive away.

I also would invest in a timer for your block heater. 90 minutes will give you 90% of the overnight temp at a great reduction in savings. The timer pays for itself in weeks. A winter front will also really help warmup and block heater efficiency.

AH64ID is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AH64ID For This Useful Post:
DieselDon16 (10-12-2011), sphunter4life (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
HOPELESS ROMANTIC.

Thanked 4,800 Times in 3,503 Posts
I usually plug my truck in when I get home at 3:00PM and unplug it in when I leave for work at 4:00AM, My electric bill is $70.00 more in the winter months. Im gonna have to get a timer. Thanks AH64ID
Psalm 26:1-12.
Psalm 62:1-8
Know Christ, Know peace. No Christ, No peace.
"Circumstances don't create character; they reveal character. Arm yourself today with the integrity of Christ."
DieselDon16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
As long as you don't forget it's plugged in your good... But really you don't want to let your truck idle more than a minute in cold weather. It's not as hard on your VP truck as newer ones, but cold idling is never good. Your easiest on the motor if you start it, unplug, get in and drive away.

I also would invest in a timer for your block heater. 90 minutes will give you 90% of the overnight temp at a great reduction in savings. The timer pays for itself in weeks. A winter front will also really help warmup and block heater efficiency.
Thanks, and yeah i was planning on buying a timer too and i have a winter front. Where is a good place to find a timer?
'01 2500 lar qcsb, leveled 4x4 auto trans(stock). S&b intake, Puke bottle delete, Mbrp 4in. ex, Silencer ring mia, remote start, B&M Trans Pan, Phantom Gauges, edge juiced w/hot unlock, raptor 150. 82k miles. With a pappy cap on.
sphunter4life is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

TrueValue and Ace Hardware sell a nice one ( for the price ). Small , w proof and intended for outdoor lighting.
Been using one for awhile now.
24hrsparkey is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,427 Times in 961 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I use one for christmas lights, needs to be at least 10 amp rated.

AH64ID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post

Because I don't plug in every night, and approach my truck from the drivers side, when I do plug in, I have a reminder sheet that I hang on the steering wheel when I get out. Printed on the Computer "Please Unplug ME!" Very Large Font.

I also have a timer, set for the time I get out of bed, about 90 minutes warm up time.
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.