Electric Fan - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Electric Fan

I don't know about anyone else but paying $550+ for a fancy aluminum shroud with 2 fan in it doesn't really seem cost efficient to me.

Has anyone tried to put the biggest single fan in possible? Like a 16 inch slim fan. I cant see the one on the truck now flowing more then 2200cfms.
1998dsmtalon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
the Flex a Lite fan is very good and is cost effective. i have it and love it. it keeps my truck a little bit cooler, and my EGTs are a lot less.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

What size do you use?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

ford taurus fans are a great addition. you can find them at almost every junk yard and they are a dual fan hi and low speed fan setup
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

There is not an electric fan made that will move the air of the factory clutch fan when it's fully engaged. You are flirting with disaster towing with an electric. Fan motor dies, overheat, blow a fuse, overheat, don't have enough shroud, overheat, tow heavy, overheat.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

This company makes electric fans & controllers for Semi's & heavy duty trucks they are pretty reasonable about $400 for a single fan & controller that is more than capable of cooling our Diesel trucks.

Electric Fan Engineering : Electric and Hydraulic Fans, Radiators, Charged Air Coolers, Heat Exchangers, Body Climate Control Systems
Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

$400!? I might as well buy the kit with the shroud and fans for our trucks!

Very true an electric fan wont out flow out a stock one and full lock. BUT! How often does the fan full lock? And with an electric fan that is constantly flowing the same amount I could like to think it can compensate.

Also, I dont tow heavy.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,013 Times in 803 Posts
There's no electric fan that can match the output of the OEM clutch fan which flows 10,000 CFM at 2000 RPM. Yes, there's guys who claim they can tow heavy with a mid-sized junk yard car electric fan cooling their Cummins but there's no way I'm trying that. Besides, the OEM clutch fan is very efficient because its basically doing nothing unless its needed.....and when its needed, its NEEDED. So to try and compare an electric fan that draws loads of juice from the electrical system, which is also a HP drain, to a clutch fan that only fully engages at 205* or more, is kinda silly. Not to mention you have to make sure the electric fan is running when the A/C or defrost is on otherwise you'll damage your A/C compressor. So while driving in the heat or rain your going to be running that electric fan all the time. Whats the gain in that?
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, straight piped, no sillencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, 285's
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

One gain for me in going electric is my truck warms up way quicker and stays significantly warmer in winter. At sub freezing temps, the fan clutch is locked up solid.

One of the reasons that dodge put such a high flowing fan in the truck is because the under hood aerodynamics are terrible. Air which should be flowing through the rad bypasses it over and to each side. Under bumper ram air also pressurizes under the hood preventing proper flow through the rad.

If the stock fan flows so well, how is it possible for puke bottle oil to get onto the back side of the fan? That's because no matter how strong a fan potentially is, it will not flow air to that potential unless there is proper sealing around the rad, (which there isn't on the stock trucks...not even close), and a constantly negative pressure differential behind the rad compared to in front of the rad.

The oil on the backside of every single second gen rad is proof that this mega powerful stock fan is not pulling anywhere near 10000cfm through the rad...regardless of its potential.

What is needed is to ensure a negative pressure differential behind the rad in relation to in front of the rad. That means preventing any ram air from bypassing the rad and limiting the amount of under bumper ram air pressurizing the engine compartment.

There are electric fans which easily push enough air through the rad to cool it under any condition...as long as the many shorfalls in the Dodge engine cooling air aerodynamics are dealt with.

As for trans cooling and a/c condenser activation; my trans temps never get above 200f on the hottest days and the fan kicking in at low speed is enough airflow to cool the condenser.

In the winter, I have a simple switch to disable the a/c fan activation.
'00 Quad Cummins 4x4 Shortbox, Was Silver. From AZ to AB. 50hp Edge Jammers, Adrenaline w/ Pulse, Raptor, Dodge Steering Stabilizer, Luke's Link, Leer tonneau, BFG T/A's, Isspro FPG, Transgo, FAILED DTT billet single., Excellent Diamond T Low Stall
JoeCanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
There's no electric fan that can match the output of the OEM clutch fan which flows 10,000 CFM at 2000 RPM. Yes, there's guys who claim they can tow heavy with a mid-sized junk yard car electric fan cooling their Cummins but there's no way I'm trying that. Besides, the OEM clutch fan is very efficient because its basically doing nothing unless its needed.....and when its needed, its NEEDED. So to try and compare an electric fan that draws loads of juice from the electrical system, which is also a HP drain, to a clutch fan that only fully engages at 205* or more, is kinda silly. Not to mention you have to make sure the electric fan is running when the A/C or defrost is on otherwise you'll damage your A/C compressor. So while driving in the heat or rain your going to be running that electric fan all the time. Whats the gain in that?

Been there and done that with rock crawlers. Belt driven fan matches engine speeds and demands. There are applications that require an electric fan due to space constraints....but these aren't FWD mid size cars or corvettes.
these are tow vehicles. I can assure you that for efficiency and RELIABILITY you cannot beat the factory fan.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I've been running a single 17" electric fan now going on 4 years and have towed trailers to Oregon and California and back numerous times in all weather with not one problem(knock on wood).I have it thermostat controlled and wired to come on with my ac so if you get the right size fan and set it up right you should have no issues.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,013 Times in 803 Posts
This is surprisingly a debated topic. All I can say is that if Cummins felt that they could get away with an electric fan then I'm sure thats what they would have used. Especially with fuel mileage and emissions playing a major role in engine manufacturing issues. Or maybe the clutch fan is just that much better all the way around.

And under hood aerodynamics are an issue for ALL engine compartments.....not just the Cummins. For that matter, if any engine would have a good coefficient rating, it would be the Cummins. Its a long narrow engine with very little obstacles for air to bump into. Unlike other engine compartments with wide short engines which are so jam packed with stuff that it creates an issue trying to get any air coming in to exit. So I'm not buying the theory that the Cummins has a known issue regarding air getting out from under the hood. My truck is one of the only vehicles I know of where I can open the hood and easily see the ground below.

And the reason the fan and radiator gets covered with oily residue from the catch bottle is because it is moving so much air, not because its not. Sure a properly set fan in a sealed shroud with fluid edges and ducted outlets would flow far better but lets be real here..... I've been in some serious triple digit summer weather, with the A/C on full blast, pulling decent loads behind me in the steep mountainous roadways and I'm always surprised how well the engine temps maintain. If anyone can get an electric fan to sustain in the same situation then by all means. Maybe keeping the EGT's down plays more of a part than one would think since 1100* is about as hot as I like it to get.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, straight piped, no sillencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, 285's
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.