"Y" to "T" Steering Upgrade-09/10 Steering Upgrade pkg used on a 2001 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
"Y" to "T" Steering Upgrade-09/10 Steering Upgrade pkg used on a 2001

Does anyone else have any first hand experience with the swap described in this link?

http://www..com/5-9l-24v-bombs-after...ing-cheap.html

I've tried everything I can think of to get actual dimensions of the tie rod end taper big/small end diameters and taper length for the 2001-2 front axles to compare to either the 1999HD or 2009/10 Steering upgrade parts but can't verify they are interchangeable. The taper itself is the same but confirming all the other variables has been a challenge.

The person doing the 2009/10 install did his homework and appears to have done everything to confirm correct taper fit/seating. Can it possibly be this easy to switch our steering to a "T" configuration?

I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has access to the actual dimensions of both steering setups to confirm this before taking the plunge. Thx for any help available.
2002 3500 6 Sp QCab4X, 3/10 micron fuel filters, Airdog, -6 fuel lines, full gauge pkg, Quad Adrenaline V2, SB 1947-OK-HD Clutch, PacBrake, 4" Exhaust, 3rd Gen Brakes, RV275's, ARP Studs, Borg Box, 4th Gen Steering, Mr Bob Hoses, Walker Air Sep CC Vent, 80K Miles.
ram350002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

This is what I did, 10x better than any factory steering setup, I love it and will never go back, Ill get some better pics later.

Y2K | NV4500 | NP241DHD | BHAF w/ prefilter | BD Wastegate | Edge Juice With CS Monitor | AirDog II | Dana 80 | Valair Clutch 500/1000 | NC4WD Flat Bed | GM Wheel Cylinders | 3rd Gen Wheels | 3rd Gen Front Brakes | Super HD Track Bar | Skyjacker Rear Springs | NC4WD Pre-Runner Bumper | Bilstein 5100's Front / 7100's Rear | 6" Grand Rock Stack | 35" KM2's | Amsoil Bypass Filter | North Country Rock Sliders | Cummins Coolant Filter | Lots of Ballistic Fabrication Parts | T-Style HD Tie Rod| Heavy 2 Stroke Diet | Updated 5th Gear Nut | Puke Bottle Delete | DSS Steering Stabilizer | Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms
NC4WD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350002 View Post
Does anyone else have any first hand experience with the swap described in this link?

http://www..com/5-9l-24v-bombs-after...ing-cheap.html

I've tried everything I can think of to get actual dimensions of the tie rod end taper big/small end diameters and taper length for the 2001-2 front axles to compare to either the 1999HD or 2009/10 Steering upgrade parts but can't verify they are interchangeable. The taper itself is the same but confirming all the other variables has been a challenge.

The person doing the 2009/10 install did his homework and appears to have done everything to confirm correct taper fit/seating. Can it possibly be this easy to switch our steering to a "T" configuration?

I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has access to the actual dimensions of both steering setups to confirm this before taking the plunge. Thx for any help available.
Try this, much easier. Uses factory parts also. Ram Modifications
ckanderson (12-06-2010), Mxrider52 (12-06-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I did this upgrade and love it. Not too pricey, not too difficult. No thinking involved, that's why I like it. Oh and my truck drives like a go kart now.

Gone: '02 24 Valve 6spd Manual
jwalth02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i also did the conversion at mark74.com works perfectly. only problem is you dont have a steering stabalizer but IMHO you dont need one if everything is set up right. i have ZERO bump steer, and ZERO death wobble. of course my whole front end is new the 100% stock fords at work have gobs and gobs of bump steer and are a pain in the to drive on rough paved roads let alone crappy dirt roads. i just had my truck down to the cabin in WV on some pretty nasty back dirt roads and at 30MPH i had zero bump steer or anything with this steering set up. go with the 98-99 HD steering set up. you wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC4WD View Post
This is what I did, 10x better than any factory steering setup, I love it and will never go back, Ill get some better pics later.

Definately a great set up here.. If you flipped your bolts around, you wouldnt lose one if the nut came loose.. And you wouldnt get loose nuts if you used lock nuts.. One last thing.. If you use safety washers, you wont loose a tie rod/draglink if you have a heim separation failure. Minor details.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Various "T" style Steering Upgrades

What I was really looking for are the ACTUAL SPECS/DIMENSIONS of the tie rod end tapers for the 1999HD, 2002, and 2009/2010 (all 2500/3500 4x4) tie rod ends.
Are there any MOPAR techs. or Auto Parts gurus out there that have access to this info because I can find it anywhere on the web. I'm a numbers guy, and before doing a mod like this, I would like to confirm WITH SPECS that one of the mods matches IDENTICALLY to the stock 2002 tie rod end tapers.
I DON'T WANT TO DRILL OUT THE TAPERS, I want to match them CORRECTLY to a readily available MOPAR "T" steering setup, "just the facts".
Any help is greatly appreciated.
2002 3500 6 Sp QCab4X, 3/10 micron fuel filters, Airdog, -6 fuel lines, full gauge pkg, Quad Adrenaline V2, SB 1947-OK-HD Clutch, PacBrake, 4" Exhaust, 3rd Gen Brakes, RV275's, ARP Studs, Borg Box, 4th Gen Steering, Mr Bob Hoses, Walker Air Sep CC Vent, 80K Miles.
ram350002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I dont have your numbers. but its a fact that the 98-99hd system fits on an 01, I have it on my truck, only part not used from the 98-99hd system is the tie rod at the pitman arm, for that you must use your 01 tie rod end, post number 3 has the same link I used to get my part numbers for it, another option is for you to pull your parts off and measure them, then use thoese numbers to compare to the new stuff,

as for the 08 stuff working I have no actual experience in that dept.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
CO President

I never took measurements but I was going to do the 98/99 upgrade to a friends 05 and it will not work. Went to the parts store and compared the 98/99 stuff to the 05 stuff and one of the ends has a much bigger tapered stud. I know guys do the 08/09 t style upgrade on the older 3rd gens so I assume they have the same bores and tapered studs but I have not compared them so I cannot confirm. It is my understanding from the fronts I have done that if you want the T style on a 2nd gen you have to use 98/99 stuff, and if you want it on a 3rd gen you have to use 08/09 stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdog View Post
i also did the conversion at mark74.com works perfectly. only problem is you dont have a steering stabalizer but IMHO you dont need one if everything is set up right. i have ZERO bump steer, and ZERO death wobble. of course my whole front end is new the 100% stock fords at work have gobs and gobs of bump steer and are a pain in the to drive on rough paved roads let alone crappy dirt roads. i just had my truck down to the cabin in WV on some pretty nasty back dirt roads and at 30MPH i had zero bump steer or anything with this steering set up. go with the 98-99 HD steering set up. you wont be dissapointed.
How much did you pay for everything? I was looking and found all the parts on amazon for $276. Is this a good price? I know you will loose the stock stabilizer but you can always buy an aftermarket one or even add duals and I have duals laying around so I could throw those on if I did this setup.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC4WD View Post

Post some more pictures and or information about this set-up! I like it!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinson View Post
Try this, much easier. Uses factory parts also. Ram Modifications
this is the setup I have on mine. steers great
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.