Ran out of fuel... Stupid guage - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ran out of fuel... Stupid guage

Well, when I got the truck, the last owner said "near 1/4 tank is empty". Well it stalled coming out of a turn just under 1/2 tank. Thought, I better go easy till I come up to a station. Stopped by work. When I came back out, she didn't wanna start. Uh oh... Ok ok, I'm goin to the station now. I putted out of the plaza to the light and it dies right before I'm about to pull out onto a 55mph 4-lane. Crap!!!

Long story short, after two trips to the station, using an empty 1-gal oil jug in my bed, 2 cop cars, a liscense check, my gf being an hour late to work, and possibly hurting my vp... I found out my tank took 2 gallons to start again, and 24.5 gallons before the pump shut off at $75 and another 7.5gal before it clicked for a grand total of almost 34gal right on the dot... From bone dry.

Lol just thought I'd share my early morning troubles...
Truckless: searching for rig #5
flubyux2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
Time to hit the local dealer for a fuel gauge sender... There about $70 bucks and can be done in about 1 hour...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

That sux. Crappy way to start a day. Stupid . . . . . . . what?

2008 Dodge 6.7 Cummins 3500 Mega 4X4 auto, Laramie, Black, MyGig RER, Firestone Air Bags, Insight CTS, engine 100% stock . . . . . so far!
bunga is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The gauge is stupid?????
bob4x4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gear Head / Electrician

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
nice, I cant say much though.

I was driving my VW Jetta TDI to work on a Friday morning. The fuel light just came on before i pulled into my driveway last night, usually get another 50 miles after that so I figured I could get closer to the base where D2 is cheaper in the morning. I got half way to work on the freeway and my car died, ran out after another 34 miles.

My wife came and picked me up, took me back to the house. I had to get my truck and trailer, go pick up the car, take that back home after stoping and filling it up by my house after all. I was 2 hours late for work that morning, I just told them my car broke down.

Daily rider once my broken wrist heals from a previous motorcycle accident.
2014 BMW K1600GTLE
speed185187 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Since youre lookin into hooking up your quad, look into doing a draw straw while you have the tank out!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Of course the guage is stupid! Why would I take responsibility for failing! Lol

the sender is pretty cheap. Definitly gonna do it. I've got a fass150 hpfp but not the rest of the kit. I have to order the kit still. Does it come with a straw or will I need to get that separatly too? I can't wait to get it on there. I'm so paranoid, I feel like my vp dies just a little bit, every day.

But, this is probably the 4th time I've run dry. 2x in my 12v, 1x in my old 04 accord and now 1x in the new truck. The 12v was cuz my fuel was syphoned off, both times. First time, I made it 10 miles and got towed by a ford. The second, I made it 40 miles. Made my friends leave the table at the restaurant we were meeting at to help push me off the road and run me to Walmart where the DIDNT have yellow cans (this comes back to haunt me later) and got fuel. The accord, was just like Speed's TDI. The light was on and I had previously gone 40miles After my navi said 0 miles to empty; thought I could make it again. NOPE. Well called the gf, she brought me a red gas can with half a gallon in it. It was enough to get it 1/4 mile to the station. I filled up, no start. Turns out that was the can I used fir diesel the last time... My gf DIDNT stop to put gas in it, it still had diesel left over! Ugh

im retarded. Lol
Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

you said you have a fass, it seems to explain some of it.

i had a similar issue when i installed my fass, so what i did was bend the float so that the truck reads empty when i have about 1/4 a tank left, now im in the habit of filling up and i seem to always take 24-26 gallons at (empty) tank so that leave me about 10-12 gallons left.

i tend to fill up at 1/8 now out of habbit, BUT IF someone borrows my truck i know that there are no issues with running out of fuel. whihc ironically has hapened, i had a neighbor brrow my truck and give it back to me on 1/8 a tank, whcih i know if i didn't bend the float i would bet thqt he would have run out of fuel, since the pump flows aot of fuel, and can become airbound, or not col down enought for the VP.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

1/8 to 1/4 tank and i fill up. I have managed to get 119 litres into her though (was waiting for the cheaper station to get their diesel load but ended up filling at a different one). Tank only holds 129 litres.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Hmm yes indeed. I thnk I'm just gonna base It off my trip meter. On my 12v, I usedto fill up at 250 miles to avoid sticker shock at the pump. Usually only took ~12gallons. Then when I was feelin like a high roller, I filled up at 450-480miles. That was about 25gal.

At least now ill be able to do some hand calculating on my mileage...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I've been keeping an eye open on this subject because I recently had this problem. Mine ran dry when it said 1/4-tank back in March. It was the first time that had happened to me. In the past, I could take it below 1/8-tank and the most I could put in it was 28.5 gallons. This time, due to a weak stock lift pump, running out of fuel took out my VP44.

I installed a FASS 95 with a draw straw and a new VP44. But the fuel gauge is still inaccurate - at 1/4 tank it is empty and took 32 gallons to fill. I'd sure like to have a reasonably accurate fuel gage back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Time to hit the local dealer for a fuel gauge sender... There about $70 bucks and can be done in about 1 hour...
Is this true? I hate to sound like a doubter, especially because you always post a plethora of valuable information. But for all of the other gauge sender threads that I've been able to find on this forum, the general consensus is that the dealer-only sender includes an in-tank pump and it is $500+. Some have said that there is a predicate style part without the pump if you can get the dealer parts guy to dig deep enough to find it in the system. But it is still $300+ if you can find it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a part number posted anywhere and I haven't been to the dealer yet on a parts search.

If you are aware of a $70 dealer gauge sender, I would be exstatic. I don't suppose you have a part number, do you? Thanks for the info.

It's a mule to pull my SSLED to racing events.
http://home.mindspring.com/~tkehne/
LeadSSled is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.