Rear Axle Seal Leaks????? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear Axle Seal Leaks?????

Hey folks,

Changed out the pads and rotors on my truck this weekend....... When I took off my rear rotors(disc all the way around) I discovered that my e-brake shoes on both left and right wheels were covered in oil.
Guessing that the axle seals are bad and that it probably isn't the best thing to find....???
Who has run into this issue and what does it take/cost to fix? How long do I have till something worse happens???

Pretty well sucks!

Thanks,

Joe H.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

It is a real easy job. I picked up the stock spindle nut kit QK4008C and axle seals from quad4x4.com. Mine is a 3500 so the discs are attached to the hubs. Everything had to come off in order to replace the e-brake shoes. I got the new shoes from Rockauto.com. Just be careful that the seals are installed correctly in the hub.
blueram01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It's easy. The seal is cheap and since you're already doing the brakes you have most of it apart anyway. The only specialty part really is the socket to take the axle nut off.

FYI the cover to a cutting torch tank works great to pound the seal back on.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Most likely the cheapest thing that will break on your truck.
Y2K | NV4500 | NP241DHD | BHAF w/ prefilter | BD Wastegate | Edge Juice With CS Monitor | AirDog II | Dana 80 | Valair Clutch 500/1000 | NC4WD Flat Bed | GM Wheel Cylinders | 3rd Gen Wheels | 3rd Gen Front Brakes | Super HD Track Bar | Skyjacker Rear Springs | NC4WD Pre-Runner Bumper | Bilstein 5100's Front / 7100's Rear | 6" Grand Rock Stack | 35" KM2's | Amsoil Bypass Filter | North Country Rock Sliders | Cummins Coolant Filter | Lots of Ballistic Fabrication Parts | T-Style HD Tie Rod| Heavy 2 Stroke Diet | Updated 5th Gear Nut | Puke Bottle Delete | DSS Steering Stabilizer | Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms
NC4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You can buy the axle nut socket I think it was a rounded 2 1/4 in. and the axle seals (get heavy duty double lipped) were about 11.00 and put a light coat of silicone around the outer edge before you put them in,the axle nut torque I think 125 ft. lbs and back off a 1/4 turn.
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to simidrm For This Useful Post:
LittleRedDragon62 (10-06-2011)
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Boiler up!

its not that easy folks...everything has to come off, its not that hard but its just a PITA ...time consuming. the seal is like 30 bucks from the stealership and just make sure you put everything back together ok...i might have to do another one soon. damn dodge. the socket is like a 2 and 7/32 i think. i bought the "axle nut socket" from autozone and had to beat the HELL out of it to get it on the nut...obviously it wasnt the right size..
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SootKing View Post
its not that easy folks...everything has to come off, its not that hard but its just a PITA ...time consuming. the seal is like 30 bucks from the stealership and just make sure you put everything back together ok...i might have to do another one soon. damn dodge. the socket is like a 2 and 7/32 i think. i bought the "axle nut socket" from autozone and had to beat the HELL out of it to get it on the nut...obviously it wasnt the right size..
It is that easy I have done them numerous times,I can replace the seal in about 15 min.
What do you mean by everything has to come off?

Take the tire off,take axle nut off,pull of hub assembly,install new seal.
You do not have to remove brakes shoes unless there covered in gear oil
also after you put it all back together you should tip the axle side to side to allow gear oil to refill the hub,and I use medium (blue) loctite on the axle bolts and torque to 75ft.lbs
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm replacing the rear passenger oil seal on my 2009 2500. It leaks so bad that it was throwing gear oil in the wheel well. All fasteners are removed however the hub assy. will not come off. Thought I would ask for ideas before using a BFH or slide hammer.
LoneStar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I found the same issue today. Right rear axle seal on my 2009 2500 4X4. Does anyone have pictures?
jsully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
No pics but you remove the wheel.
Take,off the 10 bolts (9/16") and slide out the axle.
Pull the locking key.
Get the 2-9/16" socket and remove the nut.
Remove the hub.
Remove the seal.
Replace the seal.
Put the hub back on.
Torque it down (forgot the magic number).
Put the locking key in.
Slide the axle in.
Bolt it up - 90ft-lb on the axle bolts.
Fill it back up with fluid.
Done.

Did mine last weekend. Been leaking for 70k miles all over the brake shoes. Sure is nice to be able to stop again.

2001 QCSB, 2500, 4WD
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

2002 auto D70:

Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.