No Turn Signals or Brake Lights - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No Turn Signals or Brake Lights

So I tried to plug in a trailer and my turn signals and brake lights in the truck stopped working. If I push in the hazards light then I have brake lights and turn signals. Any Ideas?
01cumminswa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
u check you fuse?
1995 2500-RCLB-47RH-4:10's-Plate Slid Forward-Interstate MTP-Tork Tek OFV-Fuel Heater Delete-265 Bridgstone Dueler Revo II-168k - SOLD

2006 RCLB LLY 4x4 ZF6

Info on the V8 Cummins powered Nissan Titan > http://www.dieseltitan.com/index.php

94-02 vin decoder ---> http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode.htm
sofakingbad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

hook up a ground between the truck and the trl and see what happens, (use a set of booster cables for testing purposes)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

do your turn signals still work on the truck if the trailer is unhooked, it might be in the truck and or trailer plug, and do you get any lights on the trailer when it is plugged in
carson b is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
do you have dash lights? check your towing fuse under the hood, also look at the tail lamp fuses
02 QCSB 6 Speed|215 P-Pump 600cc 28*|64/S480|SAC 7x12|131 DVs|AD150|Colt 181|HD Push Rods & Springs|ARP/O-Ringed Head|Fluidampr|Valair Tripple Disk|.084 Lines/Tubes|Tunnel Ram|CFM+|Water/Meth|6"Miter|Dana60/80|4.88|True Trac|35" Toyo MT's|
Smourj21 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I still have dash lights I just don't have brake lights or turn signals even with the trailer unplugged unless I push in on the hazard button.
01cumminswa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Does your third brake light work?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i got were you are coming from, there is a fuse i cant remember if its under the dash or under the hood but i would put good money that it is blown i had this happen to me on a few other trucks
carson b is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson b View Post
do your turn signals still work on the truck if the trailer is unhooked, it might be in the truck and or trailer plug, and do you get any lights on the trailer when it is plugged in
Quote:
Originally Posted by carson b View Post
i got were you are coming from, there is a fuse i cant remember if its under the dash or under the hood but i would put good money that it is blown i had this happen to me on a few other trucks
x2 hooked a trailer up one time that blew several fuses from under the hood.

I recommend gathering spare fuses for under the hood, i couldnt find them at walmart at 1am.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

On my 1997 there is a separate flasher for the turn signals and emergency flashing lights. The two flashers are both located next to the fuse bank inside the truck which for my year is on the drivers side of the dash. I'll bet you blew one of the flashers.
pakee001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Ok, this MAY be your problem ,it sounds all too familiar.

Your Hazard switch goes into your turn signal switch assembly. All of your signals and Brake lights actually go in there too. How else does one of the lights be bright with the brakes on, and the other flashes from the signal being on... !!?? haha

If the fuses are good, just go order a Turn signal switch. Your describing the symptom to a T for the turn signal switch crapping out.

If you play with your hazard switch enough, you may get the contacts to renew and they may work again until you touch or jolt the hazard switch again Dust and grime and whatever just settles in there, stuff gets grimy, the contacts get bad, and you go to push the switch in and BAM, game over.

BTW, I know the issue cause I have replaced dozens in various vehicles. GM trucks are good for the Same problem.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

You are right, that could very well be the problem. I had that happen on a 1989 Honda Accord, only when the hazard switch went it took the turn switch with it so I HAD to replace the assembly to get my blinkers back.
pakee001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.