Need some help with fuel gauge problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need some help with fuel gauge problem

My fuel gauge stays on E

The gauge works with the instrument cluster sweep test.

I have good continuity from the drivers side connector under truck to the fuel tank connector on both the sensor signal and ground wires (LB/WHT) for the sensor power and (BLK/LB) for the ground/return

I have 12v power at the LB/WHT sensor power wire.

I probed the sensor power wire at the pcm connector and get no voltage reading at all with key on.

What's the next step i should take?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Cummins Nut

there are a couple of issues you can have with your fuel gauge beyond what you have checked. Your float in the tank can either have the contact patches worn off so that the float no longer registers the amount of fuel, this will give you an Empty reading at all times. Or your float is stuck or damaged. It is more likely the contact patches. Either way it is not a huge job to lower the tank and replace the float gauge. Did mine years ago at 200k miles or so.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

so do you think that's the problem? i thought power was sent to pcm first then to tank? so it's sent to the tank and i'm getting no return to the pcm meaning the problem lies in the tank?

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblinhorse View Post
there are a couple of issues you can have with your fuel gauge beyond what you have checked. Your float in the tank can either have the contact patches worn off so that the float no longer registers the amount of fuel, this will give you an Empty reading at all times. Or your float is stuck or damaged. It is more likely the contact patches. Either way it is not a huge job to lower the tank and replace the float gauge. Did mine years ago at 200k miles or so.
so do you think that's the problem? i thought power was sent to pcm first then to tank? so it's sent to the tank and i'm getting no return to the pcm meaning the problem lies in the tank?
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Cummins Nut

I do think that is the problem. Do you ever get any fluctuations in the gauge? Is so it is definitely the contact patches on the float. When it happens to contact correctly and complete the circuit then you get a fluctuation in the gauge. Might only last a couple of second, just long enough for the low fuel light to go off and then ding back on.

Otherwise you float might be completely broken or stuck.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Diesel Head

If it does not move, most likely the float came off the rod.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels.3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 603k miles.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

Quote:
I do think that is the problem. Do you ever get any fluctuations in the gauge? Is so it is definitely the contact patches on the float. When it happens to contact correctly and complete the circuit then you get a fluctuation in the gauge. Might only last a couple of second, just long enough for the low fuel light to go off and then ding back on.

Otherwise you float might be completely broken or stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
If it does not move, most likely the float came off the rod.

to answer both of you, it never moves or fluctuates, light never goes off.

do i at least have it correct that for there to be no power to the pcm but power at the tank that the problem lies within the tank, meaning the sender?

if so whats the easiest way to drop the tank?

Logan -2001 24v, 4x4, 6 speed, BHAF, issproEv2, airdog150, smarty SO3, 182k miles
1999 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, 5 speed, 234k miles
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Cummins Nut

Drop the tank or lift the bed. Either one is about the same, depends on how rusted your stuff is and if you have help to lift the bed.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Drop the tank or lift the bed. Either one is about the same, depends on how rusted your stuff is and if you have help to lift the bed.
I think i'll drop the tank instead, not rusted very bad. bed is coated in bed liner and not sure how to get it out of the bolts, it's line-x, pretty tough stuff.

i'm going to try and drop the tank saturday evening, ill post back what i find. hoping that's my problem!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Diesel Head

That is fine, but, Bolts on a Dodge bed do not come up through the bed. They all go into welded nut in brackets on the bottom of the bed. Liner does not affect it.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels.3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 603k miles.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Ltk
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
That is fine, but, Bolts on a Dodge bed do not come up through the bed. They all go into welded nut in brackets on the bottom of the bed. Liner does not affect it.
really? it's been about 5 years i thought it was in the bed. in that case i may try that if i can find some help!
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Diesel Head

Betcha a quarter, you are thinking of the Ford you used to own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode