Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need wheel bearings, suppose I'll get free spin kit

3K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  krashDH 
#1 ·
Well I guess it has finally happened to me. While driving, I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel, so after a day of driving, I put 'er up on jackstands and shook the front wheel and this is what I got!

The passenger side does the same exact thing, just not as bad. Took the wheels off to further inspect, yep, dang thing moves all around.

Kind of unexpected, I have 155,000 miles on this truck. So I'm going to install a Spyntec free spin hub kit with Warn Premiums.

#2 ·
Could never justify spending 1,500 on it. That's a lot of bearing assembly's you could buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
What exactly are the benefits to lockout hubs on these trucks? It seems to me the difference in mpg would be very minimal with a CAD already in place? Without a cad I could see it but with the cad what's the point?

#11 ·
CAD design still ensures that the axle stub shafts and ujoints are spinning 100% of the time. I believe the diff also spins over, but in reverse due to friction. When you engage 4x4 the front shaft overcomes that friction and starts spinning the correct direction.

It's a very poorly designed system, with too many flaws and extreme unnecessary wear on components.

Hub assemblies here are about $400 a side after taxes. I've gone through 3 in 2 years. First 2 were on the truck when I got it, last one ran dry a year after I installed it. For some reason SKF hubs only have 1 year warranty, so I ended up shelling out for a new hub, (AC Delco with a lifetime warranty). If you don't mind changing hubs every few years it's not a bad trade off for free parts, but adds up to the cost of a eliminated setup pretty quick.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

Reactions: ManualTrans
#5 ·
Yea, mines an '02 without the CAD.

Looks like someone might have changed these once already...

Anyways, already got both side hubs off. :)

I'm changing to the "upgraded" older lockout style hubs, lol, just because it's so much easier to deal with. I'm not going to put the unit hub bearing junk back on again, I'll have this truck the rest of my life so, easy decision for me. The heck with messing with this stuff again.

#6 ·
what do you mean by the "upgraded" older lockout style hubs? Have not heard that mentioned before. Personally I would love to swap to a king pin axle and be done with all of it, but that is a bit beyond my capabilities with the fabrication that is needed for the swap.

#8 ·
I say that, because that's how my brother put it. He was laughing because, generally the OEM's "upgrade and redesign" things as time progresses as new models come out. Maybe Dodge thought the unit bearing was an "upgrade" from the traditional old manual locking hub design.

So essentially that's what I'm doing, "upgrading" BACK to the "older" design if you will. LOL ;)

#7 ·
I also plan to keep my truck for a long time but don't drive more than about 10-15k a year. I'd rather spend that money on go fast parts lol.

#9 ·
And I can see that! Good Lord, over 900 ft lbs!!!!

#13 · (Edited)
I've got both... 96 Dodge has CAD unit which I hate. Then my 2002 Dodge has solid axles which I love. I've had more issues of locking and unlocking with CAD axle than with my solid axle. MPG wise there is no impact really with solid axle. If I'm holding a high mark of 27.2 MPG (hand math) then I know that solid axle drag is fairly minimal. As for bearings I've only changed 1 set of bearings in 300k miles.

#14 ·
If you went through 3 sets in 2 years something is wrong. Mine were changed at 106k now almost 170k and they are still tight. That's also been 2 full winters with a 870lb v plow on the front.

#15 ·
Yep there is something wrong. Very poorly made parts.

The Delco one I installed has held up for 45k, still sounds and feels good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Can someone learn me on these hubs real quick!? With the lock out switch on the spyntec, once locked does it work similar to an LSD? And do they need to be locked manually?

#17 ·
Yes. they need to be locked manually. No, they do not work or provide any more traction than before, they simply engage or disengage the outer stub shafts (by twisting the hub selector) . what they do is eliminate (on my late model '02 without Center Axle Disconnect) the front inner axles, front driveshaft, & transfer case internals from unnecessarily spinning full time. You gain other things like grease-able cone style bearings, which are available at any parts store for a Dana 60, for pretty cheap, a wider bearing spread which can take more load, some report lighter, smoother steering, and less vibrations. some people claim they gain about 1-1 &1/2 mpg after the swap, others don't report any fuel mileage gain.

Reactions: notlimah
#22 · (Edited)
Hub kit should be here Friday.

got some parts cleaned & degreased

glass bead blasted

primed

#23 ·
Rattle canned. Also had to get new abs sensors, brake dust shields and brake hoses as mine were on their way out. Can't wait for the hub kit tomorrow.

#24 ·
Looks good!!

You're going to love them:

Coated and baked my housings in gun barrel coating for added protection...that stuff is on there good and it's tough!
Everything else exposed I primed and rattle-canned.

#25 ·
Looks good!!

You're going to love them:

Coated and baked my housings in gun barrel coating for added protection...that stuff is on there good and it's tough!
Everything else exposed I primed and rattle-canned.
oh man. that's exciting! enlighten me on that gun barrel coating...what is that?.....is it what I think? lol

#27 ·
Today some parts came! Everything in the spyntech kit is very nicely machined everything is high-quality.

All I did today was Press in the Spicer U-joints into the axle shafts and press in the upper and lower ball joint's on the axle, which are also Dana/Spicer.

#30 ·
All I could get done today was install the knuckles. Those dang brake dust shields I had to order won't be here for a couple more days. Mine were all chewed up.

#31 ·
New dust shields finally came in. So I was able to continue. Got the bearings packed and hubs assembled.

#32 ·
All done. Everything went together very nicely. No hiccups or surprises. I am extremely satisfied with the Spyntec hub kit.

My wheels are dirty. way too tired to clean 'em. lol

Reactions: Jason P
#35 ·
It has been a while since I had a vehicle with manual locking hubs but I seem to recall having to lock all four hubs before spending the day scrambling around off road. So help me understand how going free spin on the front axle but not in the rear axle works? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.