Help with block heater problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Help with block heater problem

Of course it's winter time now so I have been plugging my truck in overnight so it will start up well in the morning, but the past three nights it has been cold in the morning and I have had to use the "wait to start" light before I start it. I checked the circuit breaker that it is plugged into and it's fine. Then I got a chord with a light on the end of it that showed there was power on ther outlet and it was still cold in the morning. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening. Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD Auto 5.9L Cummins: Raptor 150 w/ full 1/2" line kit, DTT Sump, Hypertech 3 Stage programmer, BD Boost Fooler, blocked wastegate, BHAF, 5" RSD exhaust, ISSPRO EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges.
2001 Hypertech Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I plug mine in all night and I still have to wait for the "wait to start light". Most of the time its just a short cycle but the odd time it'll run for 15 seconds or whatever. Depends how cold out it is though. -30 degrees C here right now, or colder.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

That's understandable, but it was around 45-50 degrees F here. It has never done this before. It has always been warm enough in the morning to start right up, even when it's around 0 F.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD Auto 5.9L Cummins: Raptor 150 w/ full 1/2" line kit, DTT Sump, Hypertech 3 Stage programmer, BD Boost Fooler, blocked wastegate, BHAF, 5" RSD exhaust, ISSPRO EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges.
2001 Hypertech Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just Another Slow VP

im wonderin the same thing. last year i tried it once to see if it even worked. and it did, no wait light and just started up. this year i tried it and the wait light was on just as long as if i didnt plug it in
Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Block Heater Problem

Have a 2001 and last year the block heater didn't work so bought a new Fleetguard heater with cord from Cummins. This year during some cold snaps (below freezing) the "wait to start" light came on for a few seconds only. The other night we had a freezing rain and the truck was coated except for part of the hood. I'm assuming the heater generated enough heat to offset the forming of ice. Someone told me the heater puts out 1500 watts so I have it on a timer and have it timed to come on 3 hours before I have to fire it up.
mopar25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i've been plugging mine in all night, when there's a hard frost, there isn't any frost on the lower part of windshield. i guess it only keeps the coolant at about 100*.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

your block heater may have went out on you. I just had to replace mine a few weeks ago because of the same problem. I would plug it in and it would be cold in the morn. Easy to do and only cost about $90 from napa. If you haven't flushed your coolant in a while the dirt and grime will coat the heater and it will burn up on ya. Just make sure you get the straight one not the bent one. I think its 600 watts.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Make sure your cord is working first before you go replacing the heater.. Check to see if your getting power to the end.

06 2500 4X4 / Edge Attitude / Straight Piped
gassernomore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassernomore View Post
Make sure your cord is working first before you go replacing the heater.. Check to see if your getting power to the end.
I second this. Check the cord on the truck, use a multi meter to check it and have it set to ohms. If you get a reading of zero it is bad, as there is a break in the wire somewhere. I had the same problem with mine recently and it was the block heater cord. You can pick up a new cord from Geno's Garage for $14, the dealer wanted $58 for the same fleetguard cord.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage
Old 01-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

the wait to start light senses intake air temp and will operate even if block heater is working. this warms the cold air coming into engine
skeetter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

mine just quit working last week, I pulled the cord out and checked the voltage at the end, Im gettin 72-80 volts, is this normal? Was expecting it to be 110 but didnt know if its supposed to drop down or not.Hate to replace the heater if its only the cord. Thanks
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.