Steering with big tires - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Steering with big tires

As we all know, big tires puts a huge amount of stress on our front ends. I understand this fully. So before you reply with, "You should put your stock tires back on, you'll get better mpg and its better for your truck", just know that I'm not.

Anyways, I have 20x12 XD Riots -44 offset with 33x12.50r20 federal couragia m/t's.

On the highway it seems to track just fine on the highway. On back roads and such the truck follows every groove there is. Is this just the nature of a mud tire?

When I brake the truck pulls to the left, sometimes to the right but 9 times out of 10 it will pull hard left. With the stock setup it did not really do this. I will mention that the front lower control arm appears to be bent but like I said this did not effect the truck with the stock tires/wheels.

side notes: Truck is getting new front shocks (2" level block) and alignment in 2 weeks, currently running on stock height.
I intend on replacing the control arms with something heavy duty on ebay, not bd, just to expensive.
Tire pressure is correct
Also going to do a steering box brace from ebay ($45)

Summary Questions:
Why do my mud tires pull all over the road? Can I have my cake and eat it to with this type of setup?
Why does it pull left when braking?
What tires do you recommend me running on my 20x12 wheels?

1998.5 24 Valve
Mildly Built Trans, Recon Triple Disc TC Raptor 100, Full Gauges, 85hp injectors, QUADZILLA ADRENALINE (makin' it nasty)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Mopar1973Man.Com

Thanked 4,120 Times in 3,247 Posts
Quote:
Tire pressure is correct
How did you figure that out? Most people over inflate the tires creating issues.

Quote:
When I brake the truck pulls to the left, sometimes to the right but 9 times out of 10 it will pull hard left. With the stock setup it did not really do this.
Most likely the 3rd Gen brake upgrade is required. The larger tires are placing more and more leverage on the brakes and brakes are struggling to stop the bigger flywheels (tires). So the 3rd gen brakes and rotors should help.

Quote:
Why do my mud tires pull all over the road?
Most likely the track bar can't keep the axle still any longer so the wandering now happens with the steering. You most likely going to have to upgrade the track bar to 3rd gen or something aftermarket.

Mopar1973Man.Com -=- Michael Nelson -=- Mopar1973Man -=- Achieve Your Destination
2002 Dodge 2500 (291k miles) - Quadzilla Adrenaline, +75 DAP Injectors, HX35/40 60/60/12, BHAF, 3" Flow Through Muffled Exhaust, AirDog 150 (10 years old)
1996 Dodge 1500 (164k miles) - 5.9L V8, Dynamic 46RE Tranmission, Mopar Performance PCM
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Cummins Fan

The problems of a stock steering set up that wanders and has tons of play are compounded by offset wheels. Getting pulled by tracks is because of the wide offset wheels, not the mud tires. You'll notice large puddles on the side of the road will pull you towards them also. The pulling when braking is again due to all the play in the stock steering system. Don't bother with a cheap steering brace. Braces that connect to both sides of the frame bind the box as the frame naturally flexes and will do more damage to the box and wear it out more quickly than it's worth. An upgraded steering shaft and box will get you the results you want but are not exactly cheap. There are no cheap fixes only temporary bandages.

'95,5"MBRP,,sport lights w/britebox,Airaid intake,ARP Studs, 4k gs,#60 vs,torktek OFV,Fleece cool. bypass,Zone 5",16x12 MT ClassicIII,1/2" fuel lines w/vulcan drawstraw,16,CPP Diesel Extreme Duty nv4500,Borgeson PS pump,shaft,box,DOR brace, etc.etc.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

I'm just running the equal pressure in the fronts and also the equal pressure in the rear.

What is available in the aftermarket for the 98.5 trucks and if anybody has links available it would be even better.
Obviously you have to pay to play but with that said, I'm not trying to rack up 4,000 on a bunch of carli suspension parts.

Moparman1973, I've used your pressure calculator before but my pressure seemed to be very low in the tires.

To address the brakes: I heard it was easier to upgrade the rear drums to chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders instead of switching out to rotors.

Front rotors and pads have less than 10k miles on them. A 3rd gen upgrade for the front brakes would simply be to go to napa or any other autopart store and ask for rotors/pads for 2003-(whenever 3rd gen ends)?

1998.5 24 Valve
Mildly Built Trans, Recon Triple Disc TC Raptor 100, Full Gauges, 85hp injectors, QUADZILLA ADRENALINE (makin' it nasty)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

What is everybody's opinion on borgeson box/shaft combo vs. oem?

What is everybody's opinion on ebay steering box stabilizers and track bars?

1998.5 24 Valve
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

My thoughts exactly, my steering already was weak, the bigger tires and wheels showed just how weak it is.

Similar to a transmission, might be fine just daily driving, but the real test is while towing to determine its strength.

1998.5 24 Valve
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Narrower rim with more backspacing. This will yield better tracking with less damage to your paint.
Stormin08 likes this.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Toyo AT2's. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderson View Post
Narrower rim with more backspacing. This will yield better tracking with less damage to your paint.
You clearly didn't read my post, not changing my setup. 20x12's are sexy.

1998.5 24 Valve
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Cummins Fanatic

And you are clearly ignoring what you are being told. If sexy big tires are what you want, then I guess you'll just have to live with the results. Most folks are more interested in proper performance of their truck and prefer the sex comes from someplace else..
Off-road and DDRamFan like this.

2002 2500 4X4, 6 spd, Tow and Camper Pkgs, RV 275s, BHAF, Walbro GSL392 pump (old school), half-in lines, Gen 3 wheels and brakes, gauges, 2009 steering, Borgeson box and shaft, steering brace.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Cummins Fan

Plenty of people have properly/even better than stock performing trucks including towing on 12" and even 14" wheels. While they may not help, they are not the issue.

Borgeson shaft and box are great. With them and the pump my truck handles and steers much better than stock even on 12" wheels with a -50 offset and 35" tires.

For a steering box go to dodge offroad. They are the only braces that dont bind the box because they only connect to the drivers side frame.

The things I mentioned are the only steering mods I have and again the steering is fantastic with a 5" lift and 12 wides.

'95,5"MBRP,,sport lights w/britebox,Airaid intake,ARP Studs, 4k gs,#60 vs,torktek OFV,Fleece cool. bypass,Zone 5",16x12 MT ClassicIII,1/2" fuel lines w/vulcan drawstraw,16,CPP Diesel Extreme Duty nv4500,Borgeson PS pump,shaft,box,DOR brace, etc.etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggylittles For This Useful Post:
Whbaseballkyle (02-15-2017)
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

You are a moron. Thank you for your contribution of nothing.

1998.5 24 Valve
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggylittles View Post
Plenty of people have properly/even better than stock performing trucks including towing on 12" and even 14" wheels. While they may not help, they are not the issue.

Borgeson shaft and box are great. With them and the pump my truck handles and steers much better than stock even on 12" wheels with a -50 offset and 35" tires.

For a steering box go to dodge offroad. They are the only braces that dont bind the box because they only connect to the drivers side frame.

The things I mentioned are the only steering mods I have and again the steering is fantastic with a 5" lift and 12 wides.
Okay great thank you very much. Being that my truck has 194k miles everything else is pretty worn out so a full front end rebuild with napa parts and the borgeson kit should be great

1998.5 24 Valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode