Cummins Diesel Forum banner

01 dodge aftermarket stereo

953 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Water_Lover 
#1 ·
in my 01 dodge i put in a aftermarket stereo. some times it comes on some times it dosent help plz!!!!

#2 ·
Funny I have seen that a few time since I put in my aftermarket head unit!!. I have the R&R the face and it comes on. I figured it was just my head unit. I did it more when I first installed it and it seems to have stoped...

I can't help at all other than confirm you're not crazy...

It's got to be related to the acc not getting 12v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
Not a clue, it's hard to diag. I was thinking about taping the acc line behind the head unit and running it to somewhere I can test if for power. So the next time it fails to turn on I can see the voltage it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
Did you do the install or have it done. Most all shops just use butt connectors and If butt connectors were used you could have a bad connection. I always solder and heat shrink my connections when doing installs. I would check your wiring for a loose connection

#9 ·
Step one: use a test light or meter and check to see if your stereo is getting power and ground.
The best way is to unplug the connector from the back of the stereo and check for power there. That eliminates all the connections leading up to the actual unit.
If it has power and doesn't turn on, the problem is in the stereo.

If the problem is the power being intermittent, you most likely have a poor connection somewhere. It's not the truck's ignition switch or fuse panel because if it was, the problem wouldn't be confined to just the stereo.

If you cannot find a bad connection, you can start over and run a new power wire from the fuse panel to your stereo.

#10 ·
I put an aftermarket radio in a car. 6 years later it worked perfectly. I sold the car. The same radio is working perfectly in my present car. I twisted the wires of the adapter harness to the radio. Electric tape on top and no issues.

The one thing you may have is a defective wire harness adapter if you used one. AA multimeter would show if you wiggle wires and lose electrical contact.

#11 ·
So first check all power and ground connections and if all are good I would return stereo for another one. Just did a install last week new head unit and speakers and it sounded like crap if you turned it up past half volume swapped in another head unit and all was fine. You just need to spend some time tracing down the problem. Good luck and let us know what you find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.