Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel tank gauge sort of inaccurate.....

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  marcar1993 
#1 ·
My fuel tank gauge has always been strange, almost delayed. Meaning, I can drive 250+ miles and the gauge will only drop about 1/8 of a tank. After driving around 450 miles the gauge is showing just under 1/2 to about 3/8, whereby filling up takes about 25 gallons, depending. How does this compare to anyone else truck? Seems like I'm not getting an accurate understanding of how much fuel is in there. :confused013:

#2 ·
That is normal. They are all top heavy. The tank holds about 33-34 gallons. It is pretty accurate at the lower end. I usually get about 550(more in summer and less in winter) highway with a 29-30 gallon fill up at under/about 1/8 left on gauge. When it hits empty it is empty. Last 1/8 is about 50 safe miles. Do not run out and have to bleed it.

#4 ·
Mine does the same thing exactly, I too was wondering about that, thanks for posting this! The first time I figured it out (after removing my second tank) it took 34.5 gallons to top off. I had no idea I was that low lol.

I typically fill up at half when possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
Mine does the same as everyone else.

#6 ·
Mine acts the same. The last 1/4 on the fuel gauge becomes very unclear on how much fuel actually is left.
Parking it nose down a slope only worsens the problem.
530 on the trip is the sweet spot for me to fill up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Pull the sender out and actually check the float. Then swing the arm from the fuel to empty in quarter movements to check and see if the gauge responds normally. It could be the rheostat of the sender starting to fail. As they fail typically they start showing higher values. Like mine would be running out of fuel at 3/8 of tank. So for $80 I bought a new sender from the Dodge Dealer now it shows correctly. At an 1/8 tank I can pump in 25 gallons. At Empty its more like 32 gallons. Never ran it totally out. Too far to drive to fuel station.

#10 ·
Thats guys..... I guess I'll chalk this up as normal if you all experience the same. I never let it get below 1/4 tank anyways so I was more curious than not. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I think you're all lucky to actually have a working fuel gauge. Mine does not even work. Just to be safe, until I have time to replace the sending unit, I just fill up every 250 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.