Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What do you think of this trans cooler on my truck? It looks restrictive to me..

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  s10010001 
#1 ·
Here is the additional trans cooler on my truck, it looks like it might be restrictive and counter productive to me, but maybe not. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do you say restrictive ?

If the tube size is equal to stock, it is just more fluid (more cooling), and in the form of a heat exchanger with a fan...unless it is blocked up some how it should not add any restriction.

#4 ·
So I noticed that the trans cooler was gunned up, but from the back side, or the top. The onsite side of the fan that blows thru it. Then I got to thinking, the trans cooler is on the bottom front of the truck under the main radiator fan. Doesn't a bunch of hot air blow down from there? Doesn't that mean my trans cooler is fighting against that hot air? Doesn't that means its a trans heater? My trans does seem to run hot, I figured it was the gauge location (passenger side of trans vs pan or line)

Thoughts

Im thinking about moving it under the truck over by the transmission somewhere and letting the fan do its work. or craving it on the front stack of radiators and removing the fan altogether.

#6 ·
The tubing should be 1/2" as I recall. Take wrenches to your truck. See which size wrench goes over the transmission line. If the cooler lines are as big there is no problem. If the cooler has smaller lines do not use it.

#7 ·
Well the lines are smaller, there was reducers in place to get to the cooler and the cooler line look even smaller. However at some point the trans lines turn rubber to to hard line and they look small.

That being said, I don't know if it's the size of the lines or the location (under the hot air output at the front front of truck) but I removed it and guess what? I drove 4 hours in 105 degree heat to the river with my camper and never broke 210 degrees!! Mostly it was under 200 except for some grades and it was easy to get it back down. Before I was getting 210-220 just driving around town in un-loaded!!!

I'm leaving it off, I didn't care for the extra wires for the switch either. I'll just get a mag-hytech double deep pan and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Not sure on the brand, no markings. I'm gonna be working on moving the trans temp sensor to get a better/real understanding of what's going on. Maybe nothing, idk. Right now it's on the test port passenger side. Got to get it on the output line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have 2 extra coolers and the factory radiator cooler in my 1975 plow truck. Extra cooling is never bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.