Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Has anyone found throttle spring alternative

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mopar1973Man 
#1 ·
My accelerator pedal moves too easily and hitting bumps when going slow caused me to push up and down on the pedal which of course makes the truck jump. Cummins says the throttle parts are from Dodge. Dodge says to buy the whole thing which I didn't bother to price.

I'm remembering a wound spring from the last time it was apart. Has anyone found an alternative to randomly wandering the parts stores, yards and web looking for what will work?

#2 ·
I set the cruise control on bumpy roads.

#3 ·
Don't have the problem... Drive plenty of washboard dirt roads I just must have the skill or good suspension.

#4 ·
My suspension is fine and I've decided to fix this and get it off my list. I suspect several may be ignoring the issue as only I've noticed it discussed once on a board.

#6 ·
I travel.one really bad wash board road twice daily...typically i accelerate and catch theotion to smooth out.

Somedays its 65, some it may be 85....just never know.

#7 ·
All of the above are attempts to control what I expect was not designed into the truck and are examples of living with what is not supposed to be. I have been doing the same but want a fix.

I remember a 75MGB that had a strong return spring running from the dash to the clutch pedal. The clutch would work without the spring but felt much too light without it.

Some 12V posts say that there are 2 springs one of which breaks. People have replaced the broken spring with generic springs. I think ours are different but will take a look today.

Feel free to post if you have a fix.

#8 ·
The only thing I can warn about if you do increase the return spring tension you might take the risk of throttle cable failure. The extra spring load might wear the cable premature. So if it was me I would create the spring at the pedal itself. So I would create a way to hook from the pedal arm to the firewall.

#9 ·
Could your factory wound spring have been unwound a turn or two by someone? End broken and caught on something else when it unwound? It's under the hood on the bell crank.
Fun fact, doesn't apply to you, but I've had two 2nd gen trucks with throttle problems come through the shop. They were both really hard to push. Turned out to be leaky valve bodies in the trans and put resistance on the tv cable.

Reactions: Stormin08
#10 ·
What you feel is the drive by wire feel. Almost all of the modern cars that are drive by wire have the same thing. I have tried to get rid of this on mine but so far on luck. What I have resorted to is resting the right side of my foot on the transmission hump and roll my foot using the left side to control the throttle.

#11 ·
My older vehicles don't do this. My newer vehicle doesn't either. None that I've ever owned have done this. Everything else on these trucks can be repaired. Why can't this? It's not that complicated.

#13 ·
My brother in law works for a Dodge dealer. I remember him talking about this complaint on a customer truck and that they replaced a spring. It's been years so I don't remember the specifics or the year of the truck. It may have been a 12v like the above post. Anyway, it might be worth a call to a competent dealer. I'll try to ask him when I talk to him again.

#14 ·
it might be worth a call to a competent dealer
Now there is a tough one... o.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.