85plus/2 stroke oil? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
85plus/2 stroke oil?

hey guys just noticing that a lot of guys are running 2 stroke oil- 1 quart per tank or something like that..

I use the winterized 85 plus from redline religiously because it boosts the cetane, and reduces cloud point to some level.

Questions:
Am I getting enough lubrication for my vp44 by just using the redline?

Can I safely mix my redline and the 2 stroke oil? I dont know if this is such a good idea or not.

Are there any drawbacks to using 2 stroke oil in diesel?

2002 QCSB 4x4, 5-speed SO, ST, line-x, 2" Revtek level kit, Banks Big Hoss tuner, Big Head wastegate, FASS II, draw straw, K&N drop in, Banks Hi-Ram intake, str8 piped, silencer ring mia
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, pyro, boost and fuel pressure gauges, coming soon 100hp sticks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Diesel Freak

shouldnt hurt considering both the diesel in your truck and the two stroke came from the same place i run mine with power service and two stroke all the time

99 DODGE 24VALVE, FASS 150, EDGE COMP/SMARTY REVO STACK/100HP COALTRAIN STICKS ,GOEREND BILLET, HE351VE ,TC LOCK UP SWITCH, 380HP 744FT/lbs with my old slipping auto , GAUGES (FUEL PRESSURE, TRANS TEMP, BOOST, EGT DP))INFAMOUS 53 BLOCK 310,159
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

right, I hear ya there..id like to keep the redline for the cetane and lowered cloud point, and add 2 stroke oil for the lubrication at the ip.

I was also wondering how good of a job redline does at lubricating?

2002 QCSB 4x4, 5-speed SO, ST, line-x, 2" Revtek level kit, Banks Big Hoss tuner, Big Head wastegate, FASS II, draw straw, K&N drop in, Banks Hi-Ram intake, str8 piped, silencer ring mia

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Diesel Head

twostroke works great. it smoothes out the truck quite a bit. it does not increase cetane levels in the fuel.

most places only sell ultra low sulfer diesel and its designed for 2007 and up diesels. the vp44 injection pump is sensitive cuz unlike the 12v p7100 it does not have an oil supplied cooling line from the engine. the vp44 cooling is solely based on the fuel cooling it hence the performance lift pumps having a higher pressure. higher pressure cools more. the 2 stroke oil restores that lost lubrication and saves your vp44 from a lot of wear from the lack of lubricity. i do a quart to a tank which is basically 1oz per gallon.

the 2 stroke oil HAS to be tcw3 formula which is ashless to prevent build up of carbon

03 H.O. QC/LB 4x4 NV5600: Pure Performance/ Carli/ Smarty/ Corbeau XRS/ S&B/ RSD/ Aeroturbine 5050/ Toyo 35's/ Gear Alloy 728B/ AD150/ AM Gauges/ Retroshop-projectors/ Amp Steps/ Custom Grille.
1936 Chevy 1/2 ton: 4bt cummins or 383 sbc. still deciding
C3 His and Hers Vette's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhartz87 View Post
twostroke works great. it smoothes out the truck quite a bit. it does not increase cetane levels in the fuel.

most places only sell ultra low sulfer diesel and its designed for 2007 and up diesels. the vp44 injection pump is sensitive cuz unlike the 12v p7100 it does not have an oil supplied cooling line from the engine. the vp44 cooling is solely based on the fuel cooling it hence the performance lift pumps having a higher pressure. higher pressure cools more. the 2 stroke oil restores that lost lubrication and saves your vp44 from a lot of wear from the lack of lubricity. i do a quart to a tank which is basically 1oz per gallon.

the 2 stroke oil HAS to be tcw3 formula which is ashless to prevent build up of carbon
Id love to get the benefits from the 2 stroke oil, but i also would like the redline 85plus for cetaneand cloud point.

can I mix them safely?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlpwrd View Post
Id love to get the benefits from the 2 stroke oil, but i also would like the redline 85plus for cetaneand cloud point.

can I mix them safely?
i imagine u could. i know people who mix two stroke and stanadyne. one for lubin and the other for the cetane.

nice chattin on the pm's if u have anymore questions let me now man!!

03 H.O. QC/LB 4x4 NV5600: Pure Performance/ Carli/ Smarty/ Corbeau XRS/ S&B/ RSD/ Aeroturbine 5050/ Toyo 35's/ Gear Alloy 728B/ AD150/ AM Gauges/ Retroshop-projectors/ Amp Steps/ Custom Grille.
1936 Chevy 1/2 ton: 4bt cummins or 383 sbc. still deciding
C3 His and Hers Vette's
The Following User Says Thank You to mjhartz87 For This Useful Post:
dzlpwrd (10-19-2009)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhartz87 View Post
i imagine u could. i know people who mix two stroke and stanadyne. one for lubin and the other for the cetane.

nice chattin on the pm's if u have anymore questions let me now man!!
Ya thanks for all the info helped alot..kinda like a confidence booster hahaha its one of those things where you want to do it, but your unsure..all u need is that little push over the edge

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Diesel Head

here is a link to someone who actually tested various lub additives, just remember he was ONLY testing for lub, not the other additive benifits

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

2003, QC/SB. Edge Juice,Hot, AirDog150/BMS50 nozzles S&B CAI, BD Flex plate/tripple loc T/C. georend VB/ Trans rebuilt by Me. Bilstien5100. carli coils, Air Bags. RETIRED Military Mechanic (20yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode