Rear Dually Brake Issue? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
New England Chapter VP

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear Dually Brake Issue?

SO! I''m no stranger to drum brakes... but this is a little weird. I've been searching around and haven't really found anyone with the same problem as me. When driving around, most of the time my brakes are pretty normal, but maybe 1 out of ever 3 slow speed stops, the rear tires completely lock up if I'm unladen, especially on sand or gravel or any loose surface. I can tell when this is going to happen beucase the brake pedal is extremely stiff. The previous owner had the same problem and he completely did the rear brakes on the truck and it didn't go away. I don't want to put in a regulator as it only happens intermittantly and it would just hinder my brakeing capacity on the times the truck decides to brake normally.

The other day I felt a dragging, and it felt like the front brakes were sticking, but it wasn't being pulled to either side, upon further inspection, turns out the rear right drum was hanging up. On the ride home, i stopped to talk to a friend for about 10 mins. When i went to leave, the rear whell was completely locked. Working back and forth I finally got it free, and every time i stop its like that. If i roll i can feel it pulseing, which leads me to beleive the drum is now warped as $h!t.

Tried taking it apart, and to my no so much surprise, everything is frozen, adjuster, you name it. Basically, I'm gonna need new everything from the rubber flex line out...

Any ideas on the weird intermittant stiff braking?

...done with dodge for GOOD!
Special Thanks to Valair Clutch and RCP Diesel
KeepItCrunk96ZJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,242 Times in 984 Posts
Without knowing what the previous owner went through or why the brakes had to be rebuilt in the first place, I can only assume the basics. Brake fluid will do exactly what your describing. If there's a leaking rear cylinder it will contaminate the shoes and they WILL want to grab. You'd think it would be the other way around but not the case. Maybe upon rebuilding the brakes the last owner decided not to replace the shoes for whatever reason and they were contaminated. But nonetheless, it seems your issues have progressed and caused the drum to warp. When it comes to brakes, I have been known to just start over and replace everything just so there's nothing to cause a weak link. I'm not saying you need to do this but diagnosing brake problems is like chasing a greased chicken. Usually guys complain about weak rear drums and opt for the GM cylinder upgrade. Not the other way around. I think my rear drums work great, except for that first braking in the morning on a damp or rainy day. It'll try to launch me through the windshield if I'm not paying attention.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
KATOOM is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You could have a sticking propotioning valve which controls rear brake pressure due to varying loads.I agree if everything is rusted/seized start over and repace it all with good quality parts and hardware(springs,etc.)Keep away from the cheap parts......you get what you pay for most of the time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2007 3500 5.9L DRW 6spd manual 4X4 QuadCab, S&B intake,5" turbo back exhaust,silencer ring removed,Amsoil everywhere with bypass system,Line-X spray in bedliner,Back-Rack,SBC DD 3250 with .750 upgraged hydraulics, Stryker SR-490HP C.B., and Dual Firestik's.
HarkinsTransport is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Are the axle seals ok. If you get oil on the shoes then it will give similar results to what your having. I'm sure you've checked it but That what I'm currently doing on my 98
Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,242 Times in 984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechrome View Post
Are the axle seals ok. If you get oil on the shoes then it will give similar results to what your having. I'm sure you've checked it but That what I'm currently doing on my 98
Your right. I forgot to mention that a leaking rear seal could contaminate the shoes also and do the same as the brake fluid.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
KATOOM is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
New England Chapter VP

Well the person i bought it off of is a pretty good friend and when he did the brakes he did everything but the slave cylanders. Pads, drums, spring kit, adjuster etc. And the axle seals, as far as I can tell are not leaking, as that was one of my first thoughts.

Today Im going to break into them and take the whole assembly off, seeing as there so rusty (thank you massachusetts road salt). Im thinking the spring may have let go and thats what is causeing them to bind permanently now

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Rear lockup can also be from a bad master cylinder. It has two systems, one for the front and one for the back. If the front one is worn out, sometimes it will seal off, sometimes not. When it does not, very little braking force goes to the front, and the rears lock up. The proportioning valve is supposed to balance things out a bit, but usually not enough to compensate for a worn out master cylinder. Otherwise, +1 to the above posts regarding fluid contamination.
01 100hp tips EZ *hybrid* 4"ss BDbrake &steering brace "t"steer delphi tapped &rammed manual CAD 3.55's LSD, 1.375 nv5600/241HD Valair single pc rear ds 265x70r19.5 big rigs 3rd gen brakes Ugly black and thrashed!
totalloser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,254 Posts
Perhaps some different light can be shed on this timely issue. These trucks all have ABS, right? Yes they do, either RWAL or 4WAL. ABS quits functioning somewhere below 12 MPH normally. This can lead to interesting brake experiences as previouslly indicated. Part of the issue stems from location of wheel speed sensor. The rear sensor is mounted to read a tonewheel on diff assy behind ring gear. If one wheel locks up and ABS computer can't figure it's locked because of speed of other wheel and ring gear still turning. There will always be a slight imbalance of individual rear wheel braking performance especially at very low speeds. Have same issue on my mothers very loose gravel driveway. One rear brake invariablly locks as does one or more trailer brakes, especially for first few brake applications. Perhaps this makes some sense. Bottom line is these heavy brakes have some pitfalls. JMHO of course.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
New England Chapter VP

dozer, light has been shed. That makes perfect sense, thats kinda of what i was thinking, but i don't have much abs experience. (aside from removal, beucase I removed it from the grand cherokee and did a 1 ton brake upgrade, and my wrangler never had it.)

As for the breaks, finally got the drum off, brakes were so jammed on... turns out my parking brake cable had ice in it and it froze beuase i left it in my shop with the heat cranked for the day and it came back to life. As for the locking up? I have an idea maybe? Forward it locks up tight as a bulls @$$. like, 4wd, ltd slip and a the mods n my sig cant break it free, but it reverse, ir freewheels? Im thinking in reverse its not jamming into the pads where as forward it catchs and lifts causeing it to jam, beucase i can still hear it dragging in reverse. It did warp my drum and its getting turned right now. Im hoping with a new pkb cable it will return to normal, because the entire inside is like, not only rust free, but it looks almost as good as it did the day it was installed, minus some healthy dust thats awesome for your lungs and i would really not be happy with doing them AGAIN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.