Running out of fuel at 1/4 tank - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Running out of fuel at 1/4 tank

Sometime last summer my fuel gauge in my truck stopped working. When it worked, I would usually run my truck down to an eighth of a tank before I would fill up. I had even seen the gas light a few times. I would generally get about 550 to 600 miles to a tank as long as I was doing mostly highway driving. Since then, I have been filling up by the miles on the trip meter. In the last couple of months, I have only been getting about 450 miles to the tank and just took it to be bad city mileage. Over the holidays, I finally got around to pulling the bed and replacing the float in the fuel tank. The old one was gone. I got a new one from Mopar so it was a stock part. The fuel gauge started working again and everything was fine. Well, I was coming back from a backpacking trip earlier today, and got back into town. I pulled into a left turn lane and was waiting on the traffic when my truck just shut off. I looked at the fuel gauge and it was still showing well over a quarter of a tank. I managed to get it started back up and ran on fumes to a nearby station and filled up, then had to crack the fuel lines to get her started back up again. The truck only held 28 gallons filled all the way to top. Why is my truck running out of fuel when there is should still be 6 gallons left in the tank and it is showing that fuel on the gauge? For some reason it is not picking up all the fuel. I know it holds more that 28 gallons because I have put over 30 gallons in before and thats not cramming it. I have talked to a couple of other people who have had this problem with their dodges and I would really like to know how to fix it. I don't really like not being able to use all my fuel, and would like to have it back to normal. Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I know its gonna be a pain in the rear but pull the bed again and check the hoses in the sending unit.They could be damaged but who really knows.If you still have my number call me and I can help you.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,319 Posts
You might have the float rubbing the side walls and hanging it up. I had the same problem with mine. Just loosen the cap and twist the sender the oposite direction. You might have to swing it till it taps a wal to figure out where your at... This can be done without pull the bed or dropping the tank...

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 01-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought about the float hanging up, but I made sure it was in the middle when I put it back in and it still doesn't explain why the truck isn't using all the fuel in the tank. Thanks for the thought! Any other ideas?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Just giving it a bump. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Mine did the same thing and it was the sending unit.
2000,4x4, quad, 285 Disc. AT's, XZT+ to big hoss level 5,banks high ram,banks wastegate,100hp injectors,4"tbe,TAG,ranch hand,leveling kit,triple disc TC, Transgo Tugger VB, trans,pyro,boost,fuel press gauges, BHAF, FASS 150 Titanium
jason is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Nothing to add here constructive, but just noticed your location... WAR EAGLE!
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ill give ya a bump also.

I have a little different case- in my truck it seems like the gauge calibration is off or something instead of reading empty to full my empty is little less than full and it seems to stay on full for ever any idears?
00 silver,qclb 235k, quadzilla w/pulse, byrd int. horn w/o grid heater, 4:10s, built Goerend transmission, Banks CIA, BD intercooler hoses, mach 2 inj., II 62/65/12 whistler, 4" Pacbrake, 5" FBD ext, leveled on 35s, road armor bumper with winch
sjstar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Mine did the same thing and it was the sending unit.
I thought about that, but I changed the guts of it, but it still doesn't explain why I am only burning 28 gallons of fuel. Its like its not picking all of it up or something. Thanks for the thought though!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpipe_59 View Post
Nothing to add here constructive, but just noticed your location... WAR EAGLE!
War Eagle man!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Pump And Pickup Are Able To Slide Up And Down. Maybe It Has Bound In The Up Position When It Was Re-installed.you Can Drop Your Tank Without Pulling Your Bed. Just Unhook The Wires And Hoses Before You Drop It Down All The Way.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadog View Post
The Pump And Pickup Are Able To Slide Up And Down. Maybe It Has Bound In The Up Position When It Was Re-installed.you Can Drop Your Tank Without Pulling Your Bed. Just Unhook The Wires And Hoses Before You Drop It Down All The Way.
I'm not really sure what you are referring to, but I don't have an in-tank pump and I didn't move the actual measuring unit that the float attaches to. I was very careful to make sure that the sending unit when back in in the right position so the float wouldn't hang up. There are even arrows on it and the tank to make sure it is lined up properly. I could have dropped the tank, but I decided it was much easier to just pull the six bolts out of the bed and lift it up instead of trying to drive 600 miles to empty out the tank or trying to pump it out. It really wasn't that hard, it just takes several people. I may have to pull it again and look at the pickup hoses in the sending unit, but I hate to do it all and that not be the problem. I really don't have any idea what the problem could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.