Torque Converter Lock Up Switch - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Technical Articles - Writeups - Guides Section > 98.5-02 Tech Articles > 98.5-02 Modifications
98.5-02 Modifications Non-Aftermarket Mods. Upgrading what you already have.

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Torque Converter Lock Up Switch

Torque Converter Lock Up Switch an excellent PDF with detailed info on a lock up mod for the auto guys.

A big Thank You to TST products

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/at...0&d=1151454502

Last edited by Andy; 03-24-2007 at 01:42 PM.
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ats has got a really nice converter control out now to it is called the co-pilot
Old 09-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

has anybody done this lockup switch thereself, to their own vehicle??? to see if it works ok? j.w.

"HELL NAW IT AIN'T A HEMI!!!!!"
black_cherry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I know someone who just did this this weekend on a newer cummins. How would a stock trans react to this kind of action? my thaughts is not so well.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I would like to know what someone has to say as well. I am thinking about doing one myself but worried what will happen to the stock tranny if I do. I have bought everything to do it and I am even going to add an additional switch on the throttle so it will only activate when you are at WOT but with an overide switch so if you want it on you can turn it on. So, I would have a master, a WOT, and an overide.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Question BD Torq Lock

I purchased my truck (01) used a few months ago. It came with the BD Torqlock installed already along with a retarder. From what I understand the Torqloc locks the TC for Highway efficiency and Retarder efficiency. I am leary to use it without a Tranny temp gauge. My question is why would turbo want it only to run at WOT? WOT from a standstill would cause the tranny to slip excessivley from a standstill but flying down the hwy would be fine correct??? I am not questioning your logic Turbo, just trying to figure out my equipment w/out trashing my new toy. this is from BDs website.

TorqLoc Transmission Controls

Torque converters in the newer trucks have 2 stages: (1) a fluid coupling occurs first when you are starting, accelerating or pulling up a big hill, (2) when you are cruising at a constant speed the lock up portion of the converter is engaged and 100% of each rpm is transferred through the converter, just like a standard clutch.

With the TorqLoc toggle switch in the first position the lock up clutch is engaged and 100% of the rpm is transferred, transmission temperatures remain low and engine retarders work at 100%. This position is manual and should only be used manually just like a gear would be selected. Factory convertor (and aftermarket) clutch and drive clutch designs have torque limitations and this function should only be used under light load and light power conditions. A adjustable pressure switch is available to disengage the lock up clutch once a set boost pressure or load has been achieved.

The second position converts the application back to stock operation or it can be wired to unloc the convertor.

The third position is an AutoLoc position that only maintains a lock up when the stock computer has already established a circuit. This position can be safely selected for retarding or under heavy power and load applications. This position can be selected for every day driving in all situations.

The TorqLoc also has an overdrive inverter option to have the transmission start in drive.

The lock up can be set to hold on untill 5-10 MPH if you have 2nd gear lock up for slow driving condidtions.
--------------------------------------------------

As for lockup with the Retarder it will keep the TC locked up while you are slowing down causing the tranny to stay in OD all the way to a red light if you let it. I have used Exhaust brakes on several different Fire Trucks, this is my first small truck w/retarder. It doesn' seem to pull me back near as hard as the fire trucks do. From what I read the Retarder should output near the same amount of HP you generate accelerating in Braking Power. I am not sure if this would be the Retarder or the Torqloc? I'll shoot an email to BD.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

you can put it in what ever gear you like and lock it in there.like dyno pulls or pulling so it doesnt shift.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
MS Chapter President

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I have a mystery switch( TQ lock up) it works great.
94 rcsb 2wd, Ported head, HD181/210, big shiny pushrods, valve springs, TRE 47rh, DPC converter, Cheetah shifter, caltrac's, AD150, stainless diesel manifold, Stainless diesel twins, CPP 7x.012" injectors, detroit locker, and..........
2141pete is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 2141pete For This Useful Post:
SD95Turbo (09-04-2010)
Old 12-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Your signature also says you have "Goerends tranny," which means you dont have a stock tranny which is what we are talking about.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

My TC Lock only engages in Overdrive and third (if I turn off the OD).
The Following User Says Thank You to BornFree1983 For This Useful Post:
L-N-L (07-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.