P-Pump Questions??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 24V P-Pump Conversion
98.5-02 24V P-Pump Conversion Discussion of converting 24V trucks from the VP44 stock pump to a P-Pump powered 24V No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
P-Pump Questions???

Ok, so I am new to the idea of ppumping my truck but I think it will prolly be the way to go whenever I get some money together to put into my truck (it will prolly be a while with these d*mn student loans, but someday...). I have some questions about the ppump coversion and having a ppump 24V.

Can anbody explain the differences between the different ppumps and which is the best one to make the most hp possible?

How do you get a ppump 24v to make more power? Let me explain a lil, on a vp truck, people use programmers along with injectors, turbos, cams and other stuff to make power. On a ppump 24v, from what I have read, you can't use these programmers, so do you just add big injectors and turbos along with a cam and maybe some other stuff? What are the best ways to get tons of hp from the ppump?

Are there any programmers that can be used with the ppump?

I would also like to know what some of the terminology means when talking about the ppumps:

Benching?
13mm & 12mm?
191 & 131?
Pump Cams?
4ks, 5ks and "clicks"?
Etc.?

I know I am far away from acheiving any of this but I figure if I can get to know more about it before I get there, then i'll be better prepared when the time comes. That and it's fun to learn about all this stuff.

Thank you all
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD Auto 5.9L Cummins: Raptor 150 w/ full 1/2" line kit, DTT Sump, Hypertech 3 Stage programmer, BD Boost Fooler, blocked wastegate, BHAF, 5" RSD exhaust, ISSPRO EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges.

Last edited by 2001 Hypertech Cummins; 04-16-2011 at 12:18 PM.
2001 Hypertech Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Best choice for maximum horsepower is a Sigma pump.

Most people are happy with a 12mm p pump tuned for the truck and what you do with it. A vp44 has infinately variable timing meaning it is constantly adjusting timing for the perfect driving conditions. You will never have that with a P-7100. You manually set the timing for what you do with the truck.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

There are no programmers or electronics that work with a ppump.
Benching is having the pump calibrated on a test stand for max performance with the parts in it.
13 and 12 mm is the size of the pumping element.
The cam controlls the ramp rate and how radically the fuel is pumped.
191,131 - delivery valves
4k 5k is gov spring rpm range. 4k is 4000rpm 5k is 5000rpm.
01smokincummins (12-23-2011), 2001 Hypertech Cummins (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCummins View Post
Best choice for maximum horsepower is a Sigma pump.

Most people are happy with a 12mm p pump tuned for the truck and what you do with it. A vp44 has infinately variable timing meaning it is constantly adjusting timing for the perfect driving conditions. You will never have that with a P-7100. You manually set the timing for what you do with the truck.
What is the Sigma pump?

Also, what would be the best pump to use in order to build up a maximum horsepower truck? That is what I want to do someday. I want to push 1000hp on fuel only, or at least get real close to it.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD Auto 5.9L Cummins: Raptor 150 w/ full 1/2" line kit, DTT Sump, Hypertech 3 Stage programmer, BD Boost Fooler, blocked wastegate, BHAF, 5" RSD exhaust, ISSPRO EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges.
2001 Hypertech Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
"I'll go all in."

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
A sigma pump is a $10k to $15k pump that nobody but the most extreme of extreme trucks need.

Combat Wounded Marine - Some Assembly Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI H.O. SILVER
It's going to be a lot of fun if you like bottle rockets and ninja smoke.
CumminTryMe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

He said maximum power. Just throwing it out there.

To do 1000 horse, I would start with a 13mm race pump. Do you still want to drive it though?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i was wondering if yall no if the front case and cover off a 93 cummins would work for a p pump conversion on a 2001? thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiker View Post
i was wondering if yall no if the front case and cover off a 93 cummins would work for a p pump conversion on a 2001? thanks
No because the VE pump has a different mounting than the P pump. You could possibly be the first to swap in a VE pump though!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks wan'st sure so figured someone would..... thanks alot
Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Ok... The nice...

160, 180, 215, ext: Are the engine horsepower ratings. 215 pumps came off 215hp engines.

181, 191, full cut, lazer cut, ext: Are dilevary valves.

12mm, 13mm, 14mm ext: are the barrel and plunger size of the pump.

You make more power with a p24v by making your pump flow more and adding timing. Just like a 12v.

Now for the not so nice...

If you have to ask questions like these. You have absolutly no buisness messing with a p pump swap or tuning a setup. You need to do mucho homework and searching before you attempt the swap.

Why not start with a 500hp p24v setup first?? From the looks of your sig, you havnt even broke 350hp. Ill bet you will be more than pleased with a 500hp setup.

There is no such thing as a "budget 1000hp p24v". You either need to be able to do all the fab and wrench work your self or have DEEP pockets. Just a 13mm pump will cost 3k+.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Hopefully you are going to school to make lots and lots of money to pay someone to work on your truck
01 QC Short Bed, studded 12v swap, 4K GSK, custom ground #100, Aurora 4k
grazmo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
its going to cost about 4K for a swap...Pump, linkage, gear housing, etc...cam (Might as well since it has to come out anyways), injector lines, not to mention all the misc. stuff you will need to buy.

Like mentioned above...if you have to ask the questions you asked, maybe the swap isnt for you... you will be hard pressed to drive a 1,000 HP P-pump on the street

Just build your VP truck. 500HP is some decent power and can be made pretty easy
02 QCSB 6 Speed|215 P-Pump 600cc 28*|64/S480|SAC 7x12|131 DVs|AD150|Colt 181|HD Push Rods & Springs|ARP/O-Ringed Head|Fluidampr|Valair Tripple Disk|.084 Lines/Tubes|Tunnel Ram|CFM+|Water/Meth|6"Miter|Dana60/80|4.88|True Trac|35" Toyo MT's|
Smourj21 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Smourj21 For This Useful Post:
Project Cummins (01-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.