How much wiring harness? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 24V P-Pump Conversion
98.5-02 24V P-Pump Conversion Discussion of converting 24V trucks from the VP44 stock pump to a P-Pump powered 24V No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
How much wiring harness?

So supposing I wanna swap in a P7100 into my 2001 model year truck.

At minimum, I know I'd need the gear case, some fuel injector lines, and the proper throttle linkage and cable... However, I'd probably be throwing all sorts of codes.

Could I easily connect the wiring harness and ECM from a 1998 model year 12 Valve to my 2001's PCM? Or could I swap out my 2001 PCM with a 1998 PCM?

Do the PCMs in these trucks have anything to do with the ABS, Airbags, or other functions?

Basically, I'm trying to make a seamless swap... Almost emissions passing if the inspector isn't paying attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The only difference electrical on my truck is the check engine light is on. I just unpluged all the wiring related to the vp. If you live somewhere that has emissions I'm sure somebody else on here has tried it and can give advice.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Almost emissions passing if the inspector isn't paying attention.
Not worth the effort... you'd be better off just swapping a complete 12valve with it's full wiring harness and a 12valve dash into your truck...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscumminsdriver View Post
Not worth the effort... you'd be better off just swapping a complete 12valve with it's full wiring harness and a 12valve dash into your truck...
Why would I put the entire 12 valve engine in?

Just the P-Pump and 12 valve wiring harness and ECM on the 24 Valve engine.

It'd be just like putting a 24 valve head on a 1998 truck.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Why would I put the entire 12 valve engine in?

Just the P-Pump and 12 valve wiring harness and ECM on the 24 Valve engine.
Frankly, I don't understand all of the logistics of swapping over a 12valve wiring harness and ECM and what 24valve sensors you can retain, which ones have to be pitched in the garbage, which sensors from a 24valve can even be used with a 12valve ECM/PCM.... i have no doubt it can be done but then you're just adding more complexity to the Ppump swap.

that's why I say it would just be easier to swap a complete donor 12valve engine, harness and dash into a truck...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

p pumping your truck will make your check egine light be on for vp codes and possibly cam sensor depending on the year and map sensor. you can take out the check engine light bulb becuase it wont turn off. i dont see the need in swaping in a harness or 12v
Crammins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscumminsdriver View Post
Frankly, I don't understand all of the logistics of swapping over a 12valve wiring harness and ECM and what 24valve sensors you can retain, which ones have to be pitched in the garbage, which sensors from a 24valve can even be used with a 12valve ECM/PCM.... i have no doubt it can be done but then you're just adding more complexity to the Ppump swap.

that's why I say it would just be easier to swap a complete donor 12valve engine, harness and dash into a truck...
Don't need the engine, just the harness, PCM, and from what I'm finding out, the gauge cluster.

12 valve PCM controls the automatic transmission using the TPS/APPS. So I use a 12 valve TPS/APPS on the P-Pump swapped engine and hook it to my 47RE... Or not, I can go manual valve body.

On the 24 valve, the gauges are all controlled by the PCM. So I throw in a 12 valve gauge cluster and all appropriate sensors, wiring harness, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crammins View Post
p pumping your truck will make your check egine light be on for vp codes and possibly cam sensor depending on the year and map sensor. you can take out the check engine light bulb becuase it wont turn off. i dont see the need in swaping in a harness or 12v
I can't take the Check Engine bulb out, because there is no bulb. It's an LED soldered into the gauge cluster. Plus that doesn't make it stop throwing codes out the OBD2 port. I don't want to throw any codes. Hence why I want to swap in everything properly including 12valve PCM.

I want the PCM to say that everything's working good. I want the OBD2 readings to look legitimately like they would on a properly running 12 valve truck.

You can't pass emissions while throwing codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pele For This Useful Post:
rhino 660 (03-10-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

How goes it

How did u make out with this swap. Mostly the emmisions test
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.