Cummins Diesel Forum banner

rough and puking

784 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
I'm about to buy my third 12 valve, but I'm on the fence about getting it. The guy is telling me it blew a head gasket and that's all it needs to be fixed. Said it puke coolant out the overflow after 15 mins of driving and it idles rough. He's bringing it to me tomorrow so I can check it out, but in the mean time I'm wondering what I should be looking and or listening for to see if the problem is more than just a gasket.

#3 ·
Why is the head gasket blown? Was it overheated? Too much boost?

What's he asking for it? Do you have the time/money/patience to fix it? Are you looking for a project?

My experience has taught me that "all it needs is a head gasket" usually means "there's way more things wrong with this rig and you're screwed if you buy it."

#4 ·
i would make an offer based on swapping another motor in after i had it.

#5 ·
Just got off the phone with him again, he says he put a new clutch in and was out hot rodding it and got the RPMs up to 3600 and when he got home it was dumping out the overflow. The truck has stage 1 injectors and a #5 plate with stock turbo so not sure how much boost it makes. He says the bottom end is tight and its not mixing oil and water.

I'm fine with a project, and I'm already expecting the worse. Was just wondering if this sounded like something common or not.

#6 ·
well if he ran the engine up to 3600 RPMs you better ask him if hes got 60 psi valve springs because you run the risk of floating your valves beyond 3250 RPMs on stock valve springs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.