Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Driving in 2WD with front diff locked

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  95-dodgecummins 
#1 ·
hey guys, I replaced the factory CAD system with a cable posi lok system. I live in northern Ontario so I like having 4x4 on demand with the snow covered roads. Recentley I have been driving on the highway in two wheel drive on pavement while leaving the front diff locked. The truck does not hop at all when I turn im just concerned about harming anything? only reason for doing this is because it takes a while to get 4x4 engaged when I need it and this works instantly. Please let me know what you guys think.

#2 ·
Functionally, the CAD replaces locking hubs. It would have the same affect on your drivetrain that driving around in 2wd with your hubs locked would. Which would be slightly increasing wear on u-joints and gears and slightly reducing fuel mileage.

Increased wear on parts would be negligible, but I know it will affect your mileage a measurable (but still small) amount.

You might have had something wrong with your actuator if it took a while for your CAD to engage. Mine locks in right away.

#3 ·
completely harmless. 2000+ dodges dont have CAD (untill this year or something), and most jeeps dont have CAD.

ive had my CAD locked in place using the washer method for about a year now.

#5 ·
This. I've run jeeps for years like that. I just deleted my CAD finally this past weekend, I also happen to have Ford outers with selectable hubs too though. I just pulled the housing, moved the fork into the locked position, and tack welded the shaft into place so it could retract. Same idea as the washer mod, but quick and dirty and I didn't have to disassemble the actuator.

#7 ·
You use washers on the actuator shaft to keep the fork engaged. Unfortunately I just put my CAD back on because I shortened my front driveshaft myself and didnt balance it so I didnt feel comfortable running it engaged on the highway.

Reactions: patoka
#6 ·
I had a machine shop make up a dummy shaft for the actuator and this way the fork is either engaged or disengaged. all I do is flip the housing for highway but I usually leave it locked in town and during winter. Much cheaper then that POSi lock cable. I too live in Ontario I know what your going through.

#8 ·
Im sure there is a write up on here some where about it huh? my vacuum works fine but it get so irritated waiting for it to lock in, going backwards then forwards till it locks. id rather just pull the lever and gun it

#9 ·
right on thanks a lot guys! if I had of known this I probably would have just done the washer mod.. oh well, its also nice having the option of 2wd low range for backing up trailers and what not. Anyways knowing as soon as the t case is engaged 4x4 is instantly there is a good piece of mind glad to know it cant harm anything thanks!

#10 ·
I thought the posi loc would be instant lockup as it is a cable. How is it taking a while?

Could you explain what you don't like about the Posi Loc. I was looking into getting one for my truck before this winter

#11 ·
I may have to play around with the routing of the cable, so it would be best to hear from others as well.. but I find the cable is stiff to pull will pushing the red button at the same time, it is not something I would want to be doing while driving down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.