Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Finally got to drive the new 12 Valve!

889 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sour-Diesel 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1997, Reg cab 4x4, DRW NV4500 with 184,000 miles on the clock. Drove it home 70 miles and drove it around town all day yesterday, runs great. It has some play in the front end and a slight wobble at highways speeds. The truck is stock other than the fuel plate being moved forward and a 4" straight pipe. I have a few questions, I have driven manuals before but never had one that I drove more than a trip. What RPM's should I be running at when I'm in my selected gear? I'm also curious if there is anything wrong with starting in 2nd gear as first seems like a creeper gear for a flat road with no load. Eventually this will be going into my 1997 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4, crew cab. I plan to go through the engine while it's out and do a 4GSk, bump timing to 16.5*, grind the fuel plate, and maybe eventually different injectors and turbo.

#2 ·
I always started off in 2nd with my 3500 since it had 245 tires on it, 1st was strictly for starting out with a good sized load. My current truck with 35s i always start out in 1st.

You should be in the 1500-1800rpm range IMO

Reactions: Chevy12Valver
#3 ·
I am not trying to sound cruel here. Listen the the motor. When you need to shift you should see the engine is revving fast enough it wants another gear. When you shift into the next higher gear if the truck feels like it lacks power and lugs you shifted to soon. In a short time you will know where to shift and when. My truck has an automatic so I can not give you a better answer. However, I once tried out a new car with a badly spaced out 4 speed overdrive. It had a shift up light (does the dodge?) I said to the salesman the light should come on.... now...(and it did). Once you know what to listen for shifting to a different gear at the right time is easy.

#4 ·
I understand the idea behind shifting and I'm not as dumb as my post probably made me sound. But this is my first manual that I'm actually going to be driving around. I just wanted to hear what others had to say. I don't want to do any damage to the tranny while learning to drive it smoothly. But thank you for the replies!

#5 ·
I don't ever let it fall below 1500 in 5th.

Usually wind it up to around 1800-2000 before I shift - never really paid attention tbh.

You'll figure it out - and you won't mess up your tranny.

Reactions: Chevy12Valver
#6 ·
i agree with what country hick says. when i got my truck about a year ago i had never driven with a stick before, and ever since i learned how to shift without a clutch a few months ago i just listen to my truck and hear/feel for when to shift its somewhere between 1400-1800

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.