Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Remanufactured Engines

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  WoodlandCruiser13 
#1 ·
IS there anyone out there who makes a quality remanufactured engine that is available as a long block??
I am considering doing a swap for a work truck. It is a 5.9 12 valve. I would like to do minor performance enhancements once the engine is installed, but want to make sure that I am not wasting my money. I am in NJ. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 ·
Have you talked to your local Cummins parts guy?

#3 ·
No, the last time I looked, they were more than twice as expensive for a ready to go new motor. I was looking to do this relatively reasonable priced. I know that you get what you pay for, but it is a work truck and not a performance oriented vehicle. I want a good long block ready to go for a swap out.

#4 ·
You asked for quality. I think the best bang for the buck, if you want pure stock, is a Cummins reman. It will come complete, turbo, IP, etc. I wanted something a lttle different than stock, i.e. a cam and benched IP. So I went to a local diesel rebuilder after removing the engine, and all the external componants. I waited a couple weeks for the build, plunked down the cash, reinstalled the externals, reinstalled the engine and after 5k had to replace the head gasket. The rebuilder would have done it, but I had to remove the entire engine from the truck and take it to him........all because they didn't do the final tq on the front two head bolts. 45k miles later, the engine came out again because the rings never did seat. It used a qt of oil every 400 miles. The "warranty" of the rebuilder was a joke, but besides, why would I let them screw the job up again?

The short story is that I ended up spending more for an "inexpensive" engine than I would have by getting a Cummins reman in the first place, then installing my after market cam and benched IP after the year warranty was over.

#8 ·
Only the truck, injector pump and the rear axle are over a million. The original engine gave up at 800k. It was using a qt of oil every 800 miles when I pulled it. Perfect timing too, one of the rod bearings was down to the brass.

#9 ·
I was hoping to be in the 5-6 grand range installed?? Possible??
I don't think so, not for a reman and labor. Maybe a used engine and labor. My current engine came in at about $3500. That was parts, machine work, and the machine shop laying the crankshaft because I can't lift the crankshaft by myself. I did the rest of the assembling plus all the R&R labor. Good luck.

#7 ·
I had thought I saw a post here a few weeks ago from user ProStreet2wd (I think) advertising long blocks for what I recall being a good price, I'll see of I can find the post again and put a link here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
Reviva is a good one.

#11 ·
There is, at least around here, a guy that deals with used cummins. If I were to replace the engine in this truck I would go to him. I believe for less than $1500, I'd have an engine ready to go in and probably just have to swap some externals. Obviously I would be requiring a compression test prior to install and I would most likely drop the pan and take a look at the bearings. Because these engines can go for over 500k, a used one would suit me just fine.

#14 ·
Recon engine or long block from Cummins. I see all the failures of all our engines as i work for cummins, but the warranty is unbeatable. keep in mind also if you get a b from anything other than dodge truck that the crank is different. i can give you a recon engine part number if you would like for a dodge

#16 ·
I am in similar boat, and I ultimately decided I am going with a remanufactured extended long block. Its going to be a ppump engine given I am not able to find reman engine with the rotary pump, and why I chose a extended remanufactured block was because I want the reliability of a new engine with new components that is under warranty. I haven't made the decision on what company I am going with, but right now my top three is Jasper, Reviva, and Cummins Recon. I am still in the process of gathering quotes, but I am leaning towards the Cummins Recon because I feel like that is the closest to money well spent, so I am hoping. Still cheaper than a brand new diesel!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.