Cummins Diesel Forum banner

need help on cranking 94 3500

722 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  yfzrunner 
#1 ·
bought a truck got a deal on it but i can crank it up runs bout 15 seconds dies i can gas rag it or starter fluid dont like to and it and it will crank run fine dont take much to start it if i let it set and idle for awhile seems to white smoke a lil and loads up like something is hanging open mods are 150 injectors 4k gov springs hx40 turbo where should i start or what could it be i dont see any fuel leaks also it has 5 speed i have a 6 speed witch one is tuffer

#2 ·
My 12 valve would run for a few minutes then shut back off. I suspected the lift pump, and sure enough, the spring inside was broken, so the plunger wasn't contacting the cam anymore. I replaced it, and it runs perfectly. Not necessarily the cause of your problem, but it's worth a look. It could also be your overflow valve.

#3 ·
Mine dies but I can crank it with ether and it will run fine till I kill it for bout 10 min and same thing like it loses prime

#4 ·
Lift pump and that's going to run about 150.00 or in that area .

#5 ·
Gotcha what bout sometimes when I let it sit and idle for a lil while it will start to white smoke and act like its getting to much fuel till I clean it out then no white smoke

#7 ·
Mine just had same problem white smoking for me was due to feezing temps. But mine would not really run just for like 30 sec then die. I changed the return hose which had cracks in the end not sure if that was the problem. And also my prefilter o ring was shot so maybe sucking in air there and changed fuel filter no problems at all after 300 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.