Cummins Diesel Forum banner

shut off while driving, now crank no start..

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ghostman 
#1 ·
Just traded for this truck about a week ago, haven't had the first hiccup until tonight. I was driving home from gorging myself all day, and it just shut off. It was as if the fuel shut off closed or the key was just turned off. Engine died but I still had power to everything else. I've searched on here about FSS problems, but my truck has a manual one rigged up. I've held it open manually while cranking it over, still nothing. Yes, I've made sure it had fuel, even put 5 gallons in it just to make sure. Truck has a 13mm pump from schied and a fass that seems to be running fine. This is my first 12v, so I guess I'm just looking for maybe a common problem or a good place to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused013:

#3 ·
I'm not sure what else to do to check it...it's on a choke cable so it's all manual and I can hold it open and still nothing. Also no smoke while I'm turning it over...about to crack an injector line now and see what happens

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Well it looks like it's more serious than not getting fuel. I took off the first valve cover and something is causing my valve train to not operate. What all could that be? Broken cam, separated cam gear, broken push rod(s)? Or am I looking past something simpler?

#5 ·
With a 13mm pump and no valve train moving it sounds like you pushed the cam gear off the cam. Is it bulging in the front cover? Is it leaking oil in the rear cam plug?

With angle cut gears and the 13mm harder to drive it's no surprise that might have happened.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
No it doesn't seem logical but guess it could happen.
It seems like with a broken cam the gear wouldn't stay in place to mesh with the IP.
Sometimes the cam does break off right at the gear when a KDP cuts loose.
When that happens the camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train.
It doesn't seem like your problem is that serious.
Guess it's time to remove the front cover and see what's going on.

#9 ·
Yea that's the only part that stumped me. When it shut off there was no noise at all didn't sound like anything broke, and when I crank it over now it doesn't sound irregular... Schied built this thing I'm gonna give them a shout and see what cam is in it exactly and if they're going to warranty it. I know it's got fly cut and coated pistons and everything so I'm sure they would have allowed enough clearance to avoid that happening, but ya never know.

#10 ·
Find out if it's a cast aftermarket cam, they are known to snap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.