Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Last minute nv4500 swap questions

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Cummapart91 
#1 ·
Just some last minute questions guys on a swap in my 95 regular cab auto truck.
Will I need different drive shafts. I'm buying an nv4500 out of a 98.5 truck comes with the bell housing, shifter assembly, trans and transfer case, as well as a rear slip yoke which I was told I would be able to use my automatic shaft. The trans has 81,000 on it, third gear is perfect, and fifth gear has the locking nut already. I know there are tons of posts about swaps these are just questions I couldn't find that easy of answers!

Do I need different mounting bolts for everything or is it all the same?

Can I use my old boot for the newer transfer case and then just get a universal for the shifter itself?

Should I just rebuild the trans right as away since it's out?

All I was told that I would need is a clutch pedal, clutch, and slave cylinder? Is that correct?

Any help or info would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

#2 · (Edited)
Send me a PM I have a really clean shifter boot from a 95 nv4500 it's the T case and Trans boot all in 1 . Also have the front shaft if it's needed .and pedal assy. with reservoir .

#3 · (Edited)
If the trans is in good condition, just run it. Only takes an hour or two to pull if it gives you fits.

Youll need the proper front drive shaft as well, the auto one is 5 inches or so longer. My 5 speed shaft crapped out on me and I had an auto one laying around so I shortened that and re welded it, works fine. Otherwise $300 or look for used....

My dad was able to use his stock shaft on his 98 but the 47re is shorter than an RH so you might run into the issue of too short of a shaft (im assuming it will be 5 inches shorter than the 5 speed one)

#4 ·
Alright thanks guys! Simplysmn i'll let you know about the boot! My fiancés dad works at a small salvage yard so he is in the process of looking up what i need if he or any other yard in my area has anything. And I'm guessing since as you said the front shaft will be longer i can take that to a guy i know that does drive shafts and have him fix that problem i assume. Another question i am really stumped on is when i buy my clutch I'm going with a valair, if i buy their upgraded hydraulic kit will that give me everything i need slave/master cylinder wise?

#6 ·
We did an aftermarket set on my buddies truck and it all came in one sealed unit so you should be good

On the tcase boot when I did it in my 1st gen I just used a 2wd nv4500 boot and it fit perfect next to the auto 4wd tcase boot so if your hump is wide that could be an option too.

Good luck with it it's definitely worth all the time

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 · (Edited)
94-97 used twist in clutch master cylinder 98 up used bolt in,you will have to have the right bezell.i used 97 47re drive shafts in my 5 sp conv,i am using a 01 transfer case,it might be a diffrent length,not sure.i did go from a dana 70 to a d80 that might also make a diff.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys really appreciate it!! What do I do for hardware like will I be able to just use the bolts I take out of the automatic and bolt them up with those or do I have to go to the dealer for hardware?

#11 ·
Nope all the bolts are the same. Not sure on your drive shafts. I swapped my ex cab lb 01 and used both my auto shafts. I got my hydros from a1 auto and they work perfect! Even with my dual disk. Petals are a bi*** to put in! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.