Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New Truck!

5K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  alanack6795 
#1 ·
Just picked it up tonight! 1995 completely stock. Needs a new dash and has a slight driveline shake from 35-50 needs to be worked out. Other than that, runs like a top!

View attachment 142002

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Anklh
#6 ·
Yeah I'm gonna repair it to original and it will stay stock, for a little while lol. It is my dedicated DD right now since my other truck is down. I can't leave it stock forever, it can't hardly get out of its own way right now lol. It will get a little power bump and tranny upgrades.

#10 ·
I've had a few napa tstats and did the same thing. Went to my cummins dealer and got the 190 and it opens at 190 now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
#13 ·
#15 ·
6.7 stats are different, they won't work FYI.

On the thermostat issue, the napa one works alright, but hardly reaches 170* and lots of fluctuation, most of the time trucks running at 145* which is far to low for me. I ordered a thermostat for a big block 440 (part number 532090) that should fit and it's a 192* degree and supposedly designed to shorten warm up time, maintain consistent temp, etc. I'll try that stat next and see how it does, then if not I'll go to the cummins stat and try maybe putting a orifice in the coolant bypass.

My exhaust should be here Thursday or Friday so that will be going on along with a fuel filter change and oil change. Already changed the air filter. This truck is surprisingly very quiet in stock form. I'm going to bump the timing this weekend, I'm thinking 18* and do the typical AFC mods, grind a #10 plate, but still set it very conservative on the fuel since trans is still stock. Also, going to clean up a bit of the wiring mess under the hood.

Might even have time to troubleshoot the cruise control. Any typical problems with that to look for? Might also set valve lash if I get time, shouldn't take too long.

#16 · (Edited)
Well went to change the fuel filter tonight and I think I have found out that the lift pump is shot. Won't prime through the bleed screw and is leaking fuel out from around the primer button. Haven't got gauges in it yet so I don't even know FP. FP gauge should have come standard on these trucks.

Pretty darn sure I'm not getting any lockup either. I'll put a switch in and see what happens.

#22 ·
I used a Cummins lift pump as well, and installed it with no studs. I had no problems whatsoever. I think it has to do with what position the cam is in.

#28 ·
Finally found the banjo bolt I was missing and got the rest of the fuel system put back together. This new fuel pump definitely primes the system much faster and it fired right up. This leads me to believe the old pump was definitely shot. Also installed a 192° thermostat so I will see how that works out. This four-inch dual exhaust kit isn't quite a bolt on kit like I was hoping for. It will take some modifications to the hangers and brackets to make it work correctly. It's not quite as simple as a single four-inch kit but it sounds sooo much better than the stock exhaust with muffler.

It has been 32° outside today with 20 mile-per-hour winds and now it is misting so I'm going inside for the time being.

#29 ·
It has been 32° outside today with 20 mile-per-hour winds and now it is misting so I'm going inside for the time being.

You texans sure can't take the cold, can you? Dakotah was whining about it today too haha

#35 ·
Do you mean parallel or perpendicular? Parallel would be pointed straight back. In think perpendicular, with 2.5" past the pinch would look great :thumbsup:

#34 ·
I vote for parallel 2.5" out. Sticks out enough to hit on something or another as is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.