Cummins Diesel Forum banner

47RH Moderate Shift Kit

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  bootstrap 
#1 · (Edited)
My 47RH transmission is stock right now and I know it will not last forever so I'm starting to get parts around for a rebuild sooner rather than later. I already have a DTT stage 1 master rebuild kit. Next I'm looking for a mild shift kit for towing. My truck currently has stock turbo, stock injectors, 3k gov springs, 60lb valve springs, 0 fuel plate, 4 in turbo back exhuast. I will be upgrading to either 215hp injectors or 5x.012 injectors, a hybrid hx35 eventually and Revmax stage 1 TC at time of rebuild. Thanks for the input.

#2 · (Edited)
My 47RH transmission is stock right now and I know it will not last forever so I'm starting to get parts around for a rebuild sooner rather than later. I already have a DTT stage 1 master rebuild kit. Next I'm looking for a mild shift kit for towing. My truck currently has stock turbo, stock injectors, 3k gov springs, 60lb valve springs, 0 fuel plate, 4 in turbo back exhuast. I will be upgrading to either 215hp injectors or 5x.012 injectors, a hybrid hx35 eventually and Revmax stage 1 TC at time of rebuild. Thanks for the input.
Dont you mean stage 3? I got the Revmax stage 3 low stall and its nice.
I would recommend just getting a built valve body. I did my own shift kit and I dropped the valve body out at least 4 times just to get things right. The problem is, doing valve body work yourself is subject to human error. IF something is just a little out of wack then it wont shift properly. Being that you'll already be rebuilding the tranny yourself, I would eliminate some headache and get a prebuilt valve body that you can just slap in there and call it a day.
I am putting in a Revmax Performance/towing valve body tomorrow. It is professionally built, tested etc. The companies that build these things do it over and over and over again so they are very good at it.
Believe it or not, rebuilding a whole transmission is easier than valve body work if you have the ATSG book.

#3 ·
Yes your correct the Stage 3 TC and I was going to get the valve body from them as well since they say they go hand and hand. Any out of the box shift kits decent or should I just piece it together? Ive read trans go and also thought about staying with DTT for the shift kit as well.

#7 ·
The transmission will be out eventually for a rebuild which is when ill be installing injectors, turbo, TC and probably VB.

#10 ·
I'm more so looking for longevity over high hp goals. I don't want to build a race truck I want it to pull a car trailer occasionally with a couple jeeps on it. Probably not going to go as far as replacing shafts. Ill be well under 400hp.

#11 ·
When I went for upgrades I wanted to replace the wimpy factory parts. That includes metal servos as the plastic ones from the factory can warp if the transmission fluid gets to hot towing. Then you can lose 2nd gear. It also included the struts that hold the bands as the stock ones can bend. Then the aluminum planetary gear had to go. Perhaps it was due to abuse, perhaps it was due to heavy hauling. Either way the aluminum splines have stripped where they go on the main shaft and the truck then only moves with the help of a tow truck.

I was seriously debating between a super single tc of around a 1700 to 1900 rpm stall or a triple tc. I found a used built transmission with the triple tc that made the choice easy for me. If you choose a triple tc add a billet input. The other 2 shafts are fine remaining stock. With a single tc you may get away with the stock one.

For more ideas read this.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...uto-tranny-upgrades-increased-hp-engines.html

#13 ·
These are the upgrades I was speaking of. With the 5 pinion steel planetary only being $100, I see no reason not to upgrade it for a piece of mind, I agree. Might also look at a anchor and apply lever as well. It will help hold 2nd gear and heavy long uphill pulls etc and keep from breaking from the upgraded pressure of the valve body.

The planetary is very unlikely to go on a mainly stock rig.
I hate those metal servos. The plastic stocker one is ok, and the warpage is overrated. 2nd gear loss is almost always due to the band strut bending.
I think the accumulator and 2nd gear servo are very commonly replaced by almost every builder. I think they make some fine pieces and leaking does occur on the stockers. They don't cost much either so why not? TCS makes some nice ones, just put them in my transmission.:thumbsup:

#16 ·
Ghostman where can the steel planetary be bought for $100 I might pick one of those up to thats a pretty reasonable price. I probably should have upgraded to the stage 2 kit from DTT that came with the servo's but owell I can get them after the holidays. Thanks guys for all the info. Its hard to sort through sometimes whats really necessary because many people on here build/recommend things for HP not longevity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.