Cummins Diesel Forum banner

electrical poblems

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Dill 
#1 ·
Alright fellas. '96 4x4 auto. Went into limp mode a few weeks ago. Pulled code for torque converter clutch solenoid. Didn't seem right but I replaced it anyway. Limp mode. Immediately pulled different code, pressure solenoid. Ok, what I suspected from my research on here so I replaced that and sensor tonight finally. Limp mode. So I had codes puled and got torque converter clutch solenoid again. Ok, so we cleared codes and ran them again and got governor pressure solenoid code again. Cleared that and still in limp mode. Checked all fuses when I got home and all still good. Swapped around relays again and shazam, we're shifting again. Don't ask me why. So half way through test drive, Im in limp mode again, only it seems to start in second instead of third now. Now, there's no tach, speedo, no charge, check engine light is on for the first time, along with oil light, wait to start light, water in fuel light, and trans temp light. They just stay on whether the engines running or not. Messed with ess but nothing. Balancer is clean of oil or dirt. I havn't read of anybody on here having all the same problems. All battery terminals are new marine terminals with cable ends soldered on. Optima red tops. Ive manually shifted this thing for almost a month now and everything else was fine till tonight. Its been one thing immediately after another for about a year now. I finally fix one really complicated problem and within days a new one sets in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, thanks man. I'm guessing you're talking about the part about the ess? I originally suspected ess because I've had problems with it before so I took it off and cleaned it and inspected the connection and wires and cleaned connection and properly gapped it when I reinstalled it and it didn't fix it. Doesn't mean the sensor itself hasn't gone bad but I didn't think ess controlled speedometer. Also wouldn't explain the dummy lights staying on constantly, even when the engine isn't running. Kinda weird. I'll look into that more. Anybody got any more suggestions? Thanks

#6 ·
Would a replacement pcm have to be out of a '96 and only a '96? Also, would it also have to be from an auto 4x4 truck or would one from like a 2wd or manual or maybe even a '97 work? Bad pcm might could explain the eratic trouble codes and original limp mode situation, right? It's the only thing I can think of doing all the things it's doing all at once. Oh, and the oil pressure gauge actually works though. It's been highs in the low 30's so I haven't run it long enough to see if the temp gauge is working too. Thanks

#10 ·
okay, I've finally figured something out. I was burning fusible link as soon as I turned key. I finally unplugged main harness at transmission and no more burned fuse. Plugged old torque converter solenoid in and left it dangling and no burned fuse. So I pulled everything apart and changed solenoid and everything seems to be close to right. I haven't had much test time but it seems like It's either not going into o/d or torque converter isn't locking in. I'm close now. Guess I got a bummed solenoid and my old one is just a little better. At least it shifts through third and I can take my kid to school without worrying about burning up my transmission. Thanks once again for all the help from the cumminsforum.com community. You guys are the best

#11 ·
Well I've had a few days to drive it and it seems to be close to perfect. O/d and converter lockup are working just as always. Only thing is that it sometimes starts out in second. I just let off and stop and It's usually in first again. Sometimes not. I'll just drive till the next stop and it's in first again. Kinda weird. Any input on this would be appreciated. If not, thanks again.

#12 ·
Without rereading everything to see if your tranny has been removed.
Heard of a few cases where the wire harness has gotten pinched been the tranny and block then the bolts tightened down when reinstalling the tranny.
Even after the harness has been removed the electrical to the tranny never works right again.

#13 ·
no, never dropped the tranny. Had the truck over 4 years and tranny always worked fine. Installed my transgo shift kit about 8 months or so ago and it's been fine till now. Buddy thinks somethings sticking in the valve body. I had fresh fluid so I recycled it 3 or 4 times during all of this and dropped the valve body at least twice in a dirt floor carport at night. Hahaha Not the best working conditions. I'll give it a little time and if nothing changes I'll drop the valve body and thoroughly inspect and clean and do fresh fluid and filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.