Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Eaton 10 speed???

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  1070 
#1 ·
Eaton fuller Rtf1110 10 speed out of a 1980 ford l9000 work in my 97?

#2 ·
you need a rto they have od.

#3 ·
Which rto model would fit best I'll be putting a dually rear end in and on board air supply.
This is my custom long haul project. But I really want a 10 or 13 speed. I'll be hauling a big trailer. And the 12 valve is strong I just need the tranny to back it for the weight it'll be hauling

#6 ·
a rto 9513 or rtoo9513 would be best you can split the top 4 gears loaded and not use the spliter empty.a rto is overdrive a rtoo is double overdrive the 95 stands for 950lbs tourqe 13 is speeds.a 10 speed has pretty big jumps between the higher gears.i drive a 15sp it has big jumps in the high box you dont want that.drooling pistion is doing one right now he has some good info,its on the forum.

#7 ·
I am in the process of putting a Rtoo9513 in my Trk right now.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/776025-13-spd-trany-conversion-4.html

The 10spd and 13spd are about the same size and weight. As mentioned above, the 13 has closer gears on top to give you smaller jumps in rpms between gears.
My Trk had an auto Trany, it's overdrive ratio was 0.68. The only thing that had anything close to that overdrive ratio is the RTOO9513.
If you are staying with a Dana 70 rear end the fastest gear set made for them is the 3.55. The only other way to compinsate for a lower overdrive ratio is with tall tires. Depending on what the final OD ratio Trany you choose, you would need tires 36-38 inches tall. You will have to put small semi truck tires and wheels on to find something that tall and still have a heavy load rating.
Good luck and keep us informed on your project.

#10 ·
Big truck=less mpgs and dot bull crap. And insurence is more$. I'll be hauling a 40 ft goose neck with 5 cars. I restore cars for a living and now am busy enough to move 5 a month. So time to turn my 97 into a big truck.

New additions air buckets in front
Peterbuilt dash
On board air system
Flatbed
Twins
Propane
Hydrogen injection
Duals
6inch stacks
Custom front bumper,
22.5 rims
Rear disc breaks
And more

#11 ·
I built a f700 ford crew cab put a 3208 with 640 auto and 2 speed rear end for pulling a 38ft enclosed trailer we went down the road @39k the week link was the cat 3208. 5.9s were not out yet. Its a far better system then dealing with a pickup insurance wasn't any more and Dot wasn't a problem.

#12 ·
the dot rules go by the gvw of the truck not the weight of of your load.if its a combination rig its the total gvw.a small truck with heavy parts installed gets around some of that,its a gray area sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.