Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Valve body vs. Shift kit

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bootstrap 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a stock aut tranny in my truck its the 47re. I'm looking at doing a torque converter and valve body. Would I be able to just put in a shift kit and new torque converter instead of a whole new valve body? Would the shift kit basically do the same thing?

#2 ·
A shift kit can accomplish the same thing for less money yes , but in my experience a performance vb was better for me .

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
#4 ·
A shift kit should make my tranny last longer right? I don't know much about auto trannys but right now when it shifts from 1st to second I can feel a little shudder sometimes but it doesn't do it all the time. Also my tc slips a little if I hit it hard in lockup.

#5 ·
Adding a shift kit will increase transmission life. The reason is shifts occur quicker. Every time you shift a gear you actually have 2 gears engaged at the same time. When that happens (every shift) the clutches wear some. The shorter the time needed for a shift to be completed the less wear there is placed on your clutches.

Another thing a shift can does is to help increase line pressure. That means the clamping force that holds the clutches against the steel plates is increased. That makes it a lot harder to slip those clutches when power is added.

Is your truck still stock or have you added more power to it? Any power added can kill an automatic. The factory knew this and took away 35hp and 20 ft. lbs. of torque compared to the no added price 5 speed. If your truck is modified perhaps putting it back to stock power will help. If not I would expect a rebuild is in your near future.

A shudder can be the sign of a failing torque converter.

Read this. --> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...-47re-transmission-troubleshooting-chart.html

#6 ·
Shift kits are fine but it is much more subject to error. I did my own and dropped the valve body out 4 times to get things right. While I see no unusual wear, I never liked the way my tranny shifted. I just bought Smokes's revmax towing VB and I look forward to putting it in and eliminated some error I made.
Whatever error I did make, there was nearly no clutch dust upon my most recent pan removal. It just wont shift at correct times and is not consistant on shift firmness, and when it shifts.
So, I would recommend just getting a build VB. Its actually easier to rebuild the whole tranny than tinker with the sensitive VB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.