Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I need help!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Snakedoctor 
#1 ·
Other day fuel shut off solenoid stopped working so I manually held it open had someone start it up and while driving to where I was going to work on it, it shut off. The solenoid wouldn't stay open so I found a way with wedging the solenoid open to go the few miles and well my truck now has no speedo tach wts or water in fuel or trans temp lights.

Where is the ess located at so I can check that? Could that even be the problem? I really need some help this truck is how I get to work and class and now I'm really starting to panic

#2 ·
fuel shut off

i dont know what an ess is but the fuel shut off is easy just remove the solonoid end from the arm on the engine and when you need to start it lift the hood and pull it up and when you want to stop it =-lift the hood and push the arm down , i would check the wires onh the drivers side battery first and make sure they are all coneected well - first for you solonoid and your other electrical and then for fuses for the electric problem - it will be simple

#3 ·
i dont know what an ess is but the fuel shut off is easy just remove the solonoid end from the arm on the engine and when you need to start it lift the hood and pull it up and when you want to stop it =-lift the hood and push the arm down , i would check the wires onh the drivers side battery first and make sure they are all coneected well - first for you solonoid and your other electrical and then for fuses for the electric problem - it will be simple
When I pull it up it just goes right back down and the truck has no idea the engine is running

#8 ·
Ok so I know its not just that thats causing the rest of the problems, I disconnected the same connector an another 12v I have to see if that causes no lights but they all still came on.

Where should I be looking? What is the brains behind the Wait to start and etc cluster? My father believes its something to do with ignition but he has no idea about diesel engines especially these

I could really use some more advice on where to look please! Im almost to the point of paying someone who knows what they are doing to look at it but no one knows these engines better than the diy guys here! Most mechanics now just listen to what the computer says is wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.