Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Replacement Torque Converter Bolts

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  6BTpwr 
#1 ·
When I pulled my transmission out last week, 5 out of the 6 torque converter bolts were the normal 5/8 head, and 1 was a 9/16 head, but the correct thread size. Has anyone else ever run across this? My guess is whoever had it apart before lost a bolt and Mickey-Moused it with another that fit. Can I just go buy some grade 8 bolts the right size and put them in, or is there something special about these?

#3 ·
There must be something different about them. I see some "kits" out there being sold. I can't imagine what they would do differently from a standard bolt.

#4 ·
You got a point I just changed my tranny and the shop gave me some different bolts they told me they were stronger, they were the same size as stock but looked different it had a design on the head, I can find out tomorrow if u still need the info by then.

#5 ·
Sure that'd be great. I'm living and working in the middle of nowhere, so if I can use some G8 bolts then sweet. If not I'll have to wait for a trip to town.

#6 ·
Well Revmax said that if I could find G8 bolts the correct size that they would work just fine. The problem is, I can't. I can get stock ones from Dodge for the utterly ridiculous price of $9 per bolt. Does anyone have a better source?

#7 ·
the 9/16 head are from a gas motor. at least that's what they use I work in a tranny shop

#8 ·
Do yourself a favor and get non-dodge bolts. They have a shallow head and are easy to strip. Fastenal can get whatever you need.

#10 ·
That's good to know. Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'm up in Northern BC right now, so we don't have those suppliers. I might be able to get a friend from state side to send me some if I get the specs exactly correct.

#11 ·
I might just have to swallow the stupid stealership price tag so I can get this puppy buttoned up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.