Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wow

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  kdub1984 
#1 ·
I've had the truck since may. I've been reading the threads on here and googled a lot on afc, star wheel, and preboost screw mods. It has a lot of power. After reading a lot I got brave and took the afc housing off. And I found I had no plate. I have gauges but egt pegs out all the time, I don't know what's going on with that. Going to check that out ASAP. Any input on that apretiated. The afc housing is all the way forward. Thing is I have to really get on it to have boost on the gauge. And in overdrive, if I get on it it smokes really bad. I want adjust( if possible) the slow turtle like take off I have. I have plenty of power in overdrive. But I want to get rid of the cloud of smoke. Any input? By the way the most boost my gauge shows is right under 20 psi. Tell me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like I need to adjust the preboost and star wheel to fine tune it. I don't want a lot of smoke. Thanks for the advise. Sorry so long

#2 ·
#3 ·
I've read that so many times my head hurts. I've learned a lot from it. Another thing I want to add to my post is, are you suppose to have boost going down the road just cruising about 65mph. Back on topic. I just don't know where to start, star wheel or preboost. Which one would get what I'm looking for. Or adjusting both. Thanks

#4 ·
One thing I don't understand about the fuel plate is I heard it only affects full throttle. So I don't see how it adds power below full throttle. I took mine out and I have fuel up a little and my truck has decent power and only smokes when I lug it. And I mean I really have to lug it down when the TC is locked to get it to "roll coal"..

#5 ·
I think that's about how mine is doing. By your discription. Maybe someone will chime in

#6 ·
I just want some power/ boost at low from the start I'm happy with the overdrive power. Just not the smoke

#7 ·
My dad has a 98 12v that he bought already turned up and it pours smoke as long as you hold it even at 2000 rpm. It also has scary power for a stock tranny. It slips really bad. Also if you have of off and about 2000 rpm you can give it throttle and it spools up so quick and is fun but not for the trans. Like I said mine has pretty good power and doesn't smoke unless you lug it.

#11 ·
...I have gauges but egt pegs out all the time, I don't know what's going on with that...
proceed with caution here and make sure to control the temps with your throttle, until you dial in the tune that you want/need: in either event, keep it lower than 1200. Without a load on level ground, I typically never see more than 800+/-...

also, I looked at your signature and did not see anything about intake nor exhaust upgrades. These motors like to breathe: lots of air in and lots out. Upgrading your intake and exhaust, if it's not already, will help with lower egts, power and combustion...
I hope this is helpful
~V

#12 ·
I've had the truck since may. I've been reading the threads on here and googled a lot on afc, star wheel, and preboost screw mods. It has a lot of power. After reading a lot I got brave and took the afc housing off. And I found I had no plate. I have gauges but egt pegs out all the time, I don't know what's going on with that. Going to check that out ASAP. Any input on that apretiated. The afc housing is all the way forward. Thing is I have to really get on it to have boost on the gauge. And in overdrive, if I get on it it smokes really bad. I want adjust( if possible) the slow turtle like take off I have. I have plenty of power in overdrive. But I want to get rid of the cloud of smoke. Any input? By the way the most boost my gauge shows is right under 20 psi. Tell me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like I need to adjust the preboost and star wheel to fine tune it. I don't want a lot of smoke. Thanks for the advise. Sorry so long
You have a boost elbow? What are your high temp readings?

With your boost low and fuel high (no plate), your exhaust temps are going to soar. If you have an elbow already then you need to look into a boost leak. If you don't have a boost elbow.....get one!:thumbsup:

#13 ·
I have a big air filter and 4 in straight pipe exhaust. I do not have a boost elbow, I will read into that. My egt gauge pegs out all the time. It used to jump all over the place. I'm going to try to replace the probe first. I don't get on it a lot. Tow a 4000 lb boat during the summer.

#14 ·
I have a big air filter and 4 in straight pipe exhaust. I do not have a boost elbow, I will read into that. My egt gauge pegs out all the time. It used to jump all over the place. I'm going to try to replace the probe first. I don't get on it a lot. Tow a 4000 lb boat during the summer.
This does not tell us what the temp is.....

#15 ·
As far as the boost elbow, one line is coming from my pump going into the head. Where would input the elbow. The waste gate is the thing on the bottom of the turbo right? My boost gauge is tied into that line

#17 ·
Not sure if it makes a difference but boost reading may be more accurate if tied in with the line that feeds the AFC. This may be what you describe as "one line is coming from my pump going into the head".

Just a thought

#16 ·
Ok I've done some reading and I'm ordering the boost elbow and installing it under the turbo. After I put that on I'm going to start adjusting the smoke screw and pre boost. I couldn't get the cover off of the preboost. Guess I will take the afc housing back off. I think that the po took the fuel plate out and didn't adjust anything else. The tranny has been upgraded. Thanks for help

#18 ·
we need to know what temps you are hitting,what injectors you have stock turbo? as said above check for boost leaks check wastgate also way to slow timing will raise egts.

#19 ·
I don't know my temp I'm running right now, I got to fix my gauge. It's pegged out all the time. ( glowshift). Stock turbo, as far as I know stock timing and injectors. I will look into boost leak too

#20 ·
By the way I'm taking it easy until the gauge is fixed. I wish I would have took the afc cover off a long time ago. I had no idea I was running no plate. Afc was all the way forward too.

#22 ·
That's nice to know about the boost line. Mine is tied into the east gate line under turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.