Cummins Diesel Forum banner

"Full rack travel"

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jfusc117 
#1 ·
Took my truck up to a well respected shop. They said I'm not even taking advantage of the rack plug I have installed in my pump. I'm running no plate with the afc arm ground down on the barrel. The washers have been changed out in the afc. The housing is full foward. Some screw is turned in about 2 turns and the star wheel is full forward. I thought these were all the mods to allow full rack travel is this shop pulling my leg here or is there really some special afc tune that allows it to take advantage of the rack plug. Asking cause I don't really want to spend $300 to have it tuned if that's all you can do anyway. Thanks!

#2 ·
My shop insists he can get more fuel with the right plate and 15mm of travel. More travel doesn't work he says. If you need more travel (in your opinion) use bigger injectors. Bigger injectors will deliver more fuel at a better time than small injectors, if you need the power and call for it.

#3 ·
My shop insists he can get more fuel with the right plate and 15mm of travel. More travel doesn't work he says. If you need more travel (in your opinion) use bigger injectors. Bigger injectors will deliver more fuel at a better time than small injectors, if you need the power and call for it.

#4 ·
That is physically impossible....to get more fuel with a plate, than without. Now, as far as getting fuel at the right time.....that can be understandable.

#5 ·
Took my truck up to a well respected shop. They said I'm not even taking advantage of the rack plug I have installed in my pump. I'm running no plate with the afc arm ground down on the barrel. The washers have been changed out in the afc. The housing is full foward. Some screw is turned in about 2 turns and the star wheel is full forward. I thought these were all the mods to allow full rack travel is this shop pulling my leg here or is there really some special afc tune that allows it to take advantage of the rack plug. Asking cause I don't really want to spend $300 to have it tuned if that's all you can do anyway. Thanks!
Are they thinking of installing an aftermarket AFC spring? Maybe they think your is binding....:confused013:

#8 ·
They didn't say but I already bought a spring kit for the afc and yea the 2095 Mack plug

#9 ·
and the star wheel is full forward.
its possible you're binding the spring. pull the AFC off, and use regulated compressed air to see if the arm has full travel.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I'll give that a shot this weekend thanks for the help everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.