Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Daily driver need help!

912 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
Long story short, been having trouble starting the truck. The other day it would just click. Took batteries out they failed a load test. Bought new ones. Worked fine for one day. Now it just clicks again. I'm thinking starter. All new battery terminals. I've checked all grounds and it won't jump off. New starter?

#3 ·
is the truck charging properly? is your altanator working ...if not it will kill the batteries ..meter your batteries and see if it is charging while it is running..batteries just start it while it is running.. your charging system keeps it running and keeps your batteries charged..

#4 ·
That's the second thing I checked before I changed batteries, I don't remember exactly but it was over 13 volts running

#5 ·
I put a 2 amp charge on it all night, it still clicked but it finally started. I got 13.9 volts on altanator and one battery, and 12.9 volts on the drivers side battery.

#6 ·
I pulled the starter. Hooked it to a jump box. It pops out but does not spin. It just clicks.

#8 ·
Try cleaning the starter contacts up. Mine did the same thing so me and the boss were messing around with it. I thought it needed new contacts so he took a flap wheel to them and it fired off after that. I finally put the new contacts in a couple weeks ago... 6 months later. :buttkick:

#10 ·
I put a starter on the truck. It's been fine ever since. I went to advance auto and had them check it. Checked out bad

#11 ·
Where did you buy the starter?

I hope not Advance.

#12 ·
If you bought a auto parts starter get used to replacing it often.
They're designed for gassers, not much harder to turn over diesels.
Hope you didn't give them your $400 OEM starter for a core, it could have easily been rebuilt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.