Cummins Diesel Forum banner

no idea whats going on...

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  1996dram 
#1 ·
hello there. im new to these dodge trucks so any kinda help would go a long way.
ok i have a 1997 auto will ONLY 56K on it.
my issue started last week when she wouldnt make it into overdrive.
at about 50MPH she was maxed out. if i tried to exceed that speed it was like the tranny would slip. (what wierd was just before i reached 50MPH the tac would pulsate back and forth from 1500-2000RPM's.)
city driving was fine up until last night. at 35MPH it was like it was going from 2nd to 3rd gear back and forth. (again this time the RPM's were jumping from 1000-2000RPM's)
to me thats wierd because theres no hesitatiion in the motor.
this really sucks and ill to ALL the info you can give me. ty

#3 ·
thanks for the reply.
im not at all familiar with these trucks.
how do i locate and check the sensor.
i can also add that i noticed this morning driving to work that when i push on the accelarator my RPM's go down and not up. lol
hope im making sense.
ty

#7 ·
if i buy one from napa is that ok?
It could be the engine speed sensor. Did you actually find it and check it yet? It may just be loose or need to have the connector cleaned. It is on the front of the motor mounted just above the large main pulley.

Then i would check the TPS = throttle speed sensor next.

#9 ·
ok. i replaced the TPS and still getting the same issues.
the main issue is it shifts perfect all the way through 50mph. i just wont go into o/d.
so last night i tried to use the cruise control it wouldnt work and when pressed it to set my speed at 50mph it made the tranny go in and out of o/d.....the wierd thing about it the timing was such that it be 2seconds in and 2seconds out. back and forth.
any ideas?

#10 · (Edited)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-drivetrain-except-engine/472269-auto-tranny-od-hunting.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-drivetrain-except-engine/345506-adjusting-tv-cable.html

You can try bypassing the transmission temperature sensor that sits in the metal transmission line. Replace it with a 1,000 ohm (1k ohm) resistor you can buy from radio shack. It is a cheap test even if it does nothing to help. If the transmission sensor thinks the fluid is to hot it will not allow overdrive.

#22 ·
A brake switch..... I don't post often, but I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my 1996 new.... As you are new to this forum... I'll give you a heads up when, illflem speaks pay attention..... brake switch is cheap and to replace and are known to fail.....

#23 ·
A lot pf people think that just because their brake lights work that the switch is fine.
The switch has three sets of contacts, For some reason the pair for the lights rarely fails but the other two sets do.

#25 ·
What do the other 2 sets of contacts do?

#26 ·
The brake switch is the same switch that turns your brake lights on... under your dash... makes contact with your brake pedal... when stepping on the brake, cruise control, lockup and overdrive disengage... keep in mind real troubleshooting is difficult over the internet... mostly we are just making educated guesses... so why not change the cheapest part first?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.