Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine swap questions

939 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  crash22 
#1 ·
I'm doing an engine swap. My current engine is shot burning a quart every 100 miles or so :banghead: so I purchased an engine with 150k on it. What I'm hoping you guys could help me out with is some of the tricks you have used when removing an engine and installation?? It seems that I have the factory ring for the front of engine to chain to with the hoist but what do I hook my chains too on the rear section of engine? Is there any special tools outside of a general type tools box? I've read that you can remove the rear most valve cover and that gives you enough room not to remove the pan to get over the cross member? Or is it easier to remove the pan? Any things in really need to watch out for? I know I will need to take my time with this never removed a cummins engine. Any info would be appreciated!

#3 ·
^ What he said. It makes the job alot easier but can be done without the additional work. As much as i hate to tell you this bud theres no real easy way todo it. just start on the trans an work you way up each side. U pulled my rad ic main core support when i pulled my engine that made it a cake walk and only took an additional 30 mins. And it eliminates having to crouch over the fender alot. Hope this helps

#5 ·
It can be done with out the hassle of the above mentioned tricks, but it sure is a lot easier if you take the extra steps.

#6 ·
I guess I got a couple options I can pick from lifting the cab 6" so basically in do the 4 bolts to my cab and jacking it up?? Would the remove the need to pull valve cover or oil pan? Seems simple?

#8 ·
I did it the cab way mainly because the truck was already pretty stripped down, but whenever I do it again, I would probably pull the valve cover/rockers or oil pan.

#9 ·
Quite honestly I do not remember. It was about 10 years ago when I done it. It was not easy I do remember that. Sorry I can't rember any more details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.