Cummins Diesel Forum banner

need tranny help ASAP

671 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dauntless89 
#1 ·
so my 98 5.9 auto will shift super smooth witch is great but normally at 60mph if I let off the throttle the rmps will die to idle.. I know that's normal.. but now the new thing is the rpms will stay up at about 1800 when I let off the throttle and the cruise is off..but once I lightly tap the brake peddle the rpm will go normal and the truck will idle till I push the throttle again and same thing happens all over again.. im so confused, the tranny fluid is full and clean, the o.d is on. I just don't understand. could it be something is wrong with the cruise control? please help ASAP its my daily driver :banghead::S:

#2 ·
Mine started staying engaged in-gear after a let off longer after I adjusted my TPS. It used to just drop to idle on nearly any decel, now it stays in until i completely remove my foot from the pedal. Personally I prefer it this way, though it was an unexpected side-effect of what the TPS adjust was supposed to fix.

Since it changed on its own, your TPS and/or TV cable would be the thing to check.

#3 ·
I would consider that perhaps the torque converter lockup solenoid is sticking or the relay under the hood is sticking. Those are the only thing I can think of that affect tc lockup and unlock.

#4 ·
I wouldn't thinks its the tc solenoid cause it shifts great on flat road and going up hill and towing. over drive works fine. I have a funny feeling it has something to do with the cruise control. but then again this is my first diesel and it has a rebuild kit from hughes performance so I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.