Cummins Diesel Forum banner

No this isn't about making smoke! But it is a starwheel question...

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  7.4secdiesel 
#1 ·
1997 Ram 3500 2175 pump. Ok so i rolled over 339k this morning and after some curiosity i decided to fool with the star wheel. Now the turbo lights up like a swift kick in the . I don't have a promoter installed YET. Getting one installed Friday. Can this modification cause high egt's? I've done some research some say it does most say it doesn't so before I break something could someone point me in the right direction? Not looking to do a full on build yet but when i yank the motor to put it in my 01 3500 power is what ill be after

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
1997 Ram 3500 2175 pump. Ok so i rolled over 339k this morning and after some curiosity i decided to fool with the star wheel. Now the turbo lights up like a swift kick in the . I don't have a promoter installed YET. Getting one installed Friday. Can this modification cause high egt's? I've done some research some say it does most say it doesn't so before I break something could someone point me in the right direction? Not looking to do a full on build yet but when i yank the motor to put it in my 01 3500 power is what ill be after

I would not be too worried about any EGT issues. You need to be more worried about trans and TC if it is stock.

#4 ·
The only way this would cause EGTs high enough (note they definitely went up some) to worry about in your case is when you stay on it. Good to hear your turbo is lighting up, if it is a stock size then EGTs won't really be an issue unless you hold wot a good ways. However, if your turbo is a larger one then EGTs will be a problem

#9 ·
I removed my fuel plate and put star wheel full forward a couple weeks before installing gauges. After putting them on, I went driving and started up a hill at 50 and punched it all of the way up the hill. Egt's maxed at 950-1000. My afc mods have made my truck fun. I don't see how people can stand to leave their trucks stock.

#12 ·
My apologies I was refering to the fact that my question had no relation to the byproduct of internal combustion that results in a large amount of unburned fuel exiting the tailpipe of a diesel powered vehicle commonly reffered to as rolling coal. I apologize for any misunderstanding ocifer I promise it won't happen again

#13 · (Edited)
Lots of doomsday or naysayers here. Just be moderate and use common sense and you should be fine. The warnings are there for a reason and gauges are ideal and remember that you assume all liability for your mods. Now go have fun and don't look back.

#14 ·
Oh believe me I know if I modify anything that by performing such actions I assume any and all liability for all consequences for said actions. I just feel that by asking those who have dealt with these engines more than I have I can prevent most premature failures due to ignorance or being too proud to ask a question and accept input on something I'm no expert in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.