Cummins Diesel Forum banner

98 12v help!

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  7.4secdiesel 
#1 ·
Hey guys , been looking for a truck for a while now and I found a 98 12v auto ext can long box , with 3.83 gears with some work done . It's got 280k miles on it but new inline pump , laser cut deliver valves , 180 hp injectors , ground fuel plate, fass 150 fuel pump . Supposedly a built tranny but no receipts for anything. Just need some advice. Went to see it, the interior is spotless , body is fairly clean other than a little rust under fender flares. Said the kdp was fixed but like I said . Wondering if the trucks even worth 7500$ or am I getting ripped off . The high miles scare me a bit , he said it does burn some oil but I know most do , and with the inline pump it should last forever . Wondering if someone could offer me some advice . Just need a reliable truck for work and to haul my around.

#2 ·
truck with a 280k is over a quart million miles. u gotta remember that even if its a diesel or not. yes the truck has nice mods but no receipts sounds alittle fishy. for 7500 u can find a clean truck with lower mileage and probably newer. it burns oil and u dont know what else can go wrong. idk were u found the truck but on forums ppl ask alittle more then craigslist or other websites. i would look around alittle more and compare prices. good luck with your choice.

#4 ·
Just so ya know, 180 HP injectors are stock on this truck. If he's trying to pass them off as an upgrade, he's prolly lying about a few other things as well. Walk away.

#5 ·
If he can't support his talk with receipts then it did not happen or doesn't exist. You could be paying for a fairy tale or badly installed parts. Unless it was from a relative or perhaps a well known person on this forum or even vender's truck, then I would pay more for a nice stock 12V than a modified one with an unknown history.

For the prices some people are asking for 12V you could get a 24V and stick a used lower mileage 12v in there.

#9 ·
I doubt that transmission was built. Even if they have receipts, make sure you verify with the shop.

Where are you at, OP? I know of a 97 club cab long bed auto 4x4 with 220k for $7k. good looking truck.

#10 ·
Keep an eye on Craigslist, some occasional deals on there. I just picked up a 97' with a manual, 184,000 miles on it, the guy is the second owner, he moved the fuel plate and put a 4" exhaust on and a boost gauge, It's a 4x4 3500 reg cab dually with a steel flat bed, it's not perfect but the body is straight, starting to rust but only on the surface. Interior isn't bad either. Grabbed it for 5K, truck has about 6 months of life left in her until I rip it apart and put the engine in my Chevy dually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.