Cummins Diesel Forum banner

98 12v help!

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  #Cummins 
#1 ·
Hey guys , been looking for a truck for a while now and I found a 98 12v auto ext can long box , with 3.83 gears with some work done . It's got 280k miles on it but new inline pump , laser cut deliver valves , 180 hp injectors , ground fuel plate, fass 150 fuel pump . Supposedly a built tranny but no receipts for anything. Just need some advice. Went to see it, the interior is spotless , body is fairly clean other than a little rust under fender flares. Said the kdp was fixed but like I said . Wondering if the trucks even worth 7500$ or am I getting ripped off . The high miles scare me a bit , he said it does burn some oil but I know most do , and with the inline pump it should last forever . Wondering if someone could offer me some advice . Just need a reliable truck for work and to haul my around.

#2 ·
never heard of 3.83 gears they came with 3.54 or 4.10.i have 3 trucks a 91,94,05 none of them have ever used oil.they all have well over 200000 miles,one getting close to 400,000.

#3 ·
I have owned many Cummins and worked on many too. Never have I had one that used oil. That much fuel thru it might have hurt something.

I would still buy it, for myself, as you describe it though.
Miles don't hurt them. it is abuse that does.

#4 ·
Guy probably doesn't know what he's talking about. It's probably using oil or leaking it. Rarely do they burn the stuff. $7500 is way high, that truck better last the rest of your life. Don't mean to be rude but just speaking from experience. Guys charge arms and legs for these trucks because why, I dunno. Lowball him and see his reaction. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. It has another reliable 100k at least.

#8 ·
I say NO! He says it had all that work done, but he has no documentation or receipts? sounds little fishy, I do not believe he is being honest with you. Stay away, wait for the right truck.

$7500 is a fair price for a 98 if it is in good shape with docs too prove it. Not too concerned about mileage, also 3.83 gearing was not stock with our trucks, either 3.54 or 4.10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.