Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wheres the fuel?

888 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bluedodge98 
#1 ·
Ok I think there is definetly something wrong here. I have the starwheel cranked all the way towards the motor and both the plate and housing slid full forward. I should be getting alot of fuel correct? It only barely smokes though if I step on it hard. I'm also only getting 11 psi of boost but if its getting as much fuel as it should shouldn't it be getting more boost? Would the problem be in the fuel system or could a lack of air not be allowing it to fuel properly?

#2 ·
Whats your fuel pressure? you have to have fuel to make boost right, so if your fuel pressure is low your not going to make boost. Also another few things to check, if your only making 11 lbs of boost your wastegate could be stuck open or your air filter is clogged...... but my money is on the fuel pressure being low.

Reactions: dieselslick
#3 · (Edited)
Ok I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet so I dont know the pressure. The air filter is almost new so that rules that out. I'm going to pull the wastegate and put another one on and see what happens tommorrow. I'll also try pinching the fuel return line and see what happens. I just changed the fuel filter and cleaned the pre-screen so the next thing I would think would be lift pump that sound correct?

#5 ·
It's not air if there's no smoke. If it's not fuel pressure make sure the line going to the back of the afc isn't leaking if you gut the afc and it does the same thing you can rule that out.

#7 ·
No.

Sounds like the line going to the AFC is leaking.

#8 ·
Ok I think there is definetly something wrong here. I have the starwheel cranked all the way towards the motor and both the plate and housing slid full forward. I should be getting alot of fuel correct? It only barely smokes though if I step on it hard. I'm also only getting 11 psi of boost but if its getting as much fuel as it should shouldn't it be getting more boost? Would the problem be in the fuel system or could a lack of air not be allowing it to fuel properly?
.....to clarify, the starwheel is farthest toward the radiator?

Also, don't overlook the OFV BEFORE you start blaming the pump. Do a search on here to test it. It will require a quick pinch of the line.

Yet, as some have stated.....it's your AFC boost line leaking air as the most probable cause. Search on here on how to test that also. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.