Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What else to do on 97'

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pyro690 
#1 ·
So the truck im working with is in my sig, It runs really good and smoothe and has plenty of power for what im doing with it. I dont hot rod around town and that sort of thing, try to be easy on her. Anyways to get to the point, whats next to be done? or should i just keep the mods i have. I dont want to go crazy and have fuel dumping out the tail pipe. Truck has 326,000 some odd miles on it and im pretty good with general matience. Also has a new clutch in, but nothing fancy like a valair. I've got gauges on the way soon hopefully so wanting to get those bad boys in and check out whats going on before anything, any advice from some seasoned 12 valvers?:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Good call on the gauges, make sure you get those next. I wouldn't go much farther unless you plan on upgrading the clutch to hold some more power.

#4 ·
If you install a 4K GSK and will rev past 3,200 rpm (including tach and driver error) you must install 60# valve springs. Otherwise at just about 3251 rpm pistons and valves can try to occupy the same space at the same time with expensive results.

#5 ·
Ok thanks for the advice guys. So is there a kit for 4gsk that's has the 60 # springs included . I'm thinking Maybe of doing injectors later on is that not going to work with my stock hx35? Is there any injectors that can be run safely without a turbo upgrade and risk to the engine. I'm not sure but I've heard of guys doing things to tweak the stocker to get al little more out of it what can be done with it?

#6 ·
I bought my parts from separate suppliers.

Use code " cumminsforum " at checkout for 10% off.
Pac Brake 10029 GOVERNOR SPRING KIT dodge 12v engine 1994-1998

This is the best price I found for 12 upgraded valve springs.
Toxic Diesel 1989-1998 Cummins 60lb Intake & Exhaust Valve Springs TOX-726712

Then I bought 6 new (felpro) valve covers from Advance auto at $5 or $6 each.

While you are at it get a gasket set for your homemade KDP tab.
Buy Felpro Timing Cover Gasket Set TCS 46001 at Advance Auto Parts

And how to make a tab is below.
Ram Diesel KDP retainer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.