Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Occasionally no overdrive.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  natemoses13 
#1 ·
Occasionally, I won't have overdrive. All I have to do is stop, shut the truck off, turn it back on, and get back on the road and the overdrive works. I'm confused. Any ideas as to why this happens?

#2 ·
When you do not have overdrive is your voltmeter showing voltage? Is the tach working?

#4 ·
If everything else is functioning normally that should rule out the ESS as the reason. Since the transmission resets and works correctly after a cold restart I would look for electrical connections that are dirty or corroded. This sounds like an intermittent electrical fault. As shifting into overdrive and lockup are both computer controlled an electrical fault makes the most sense.

I once had a starter that would start at times and not others. Cleaning up the connection in the starter cured the problem. It was just a little corrosion that was the trouble. Why it would start at times and not others is an electrical mystery I can not explain. This sounds like the same thing just on a different circuit.

You may also have a solenoid that is beginning to fail but still works most of the time.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...-47re-transmission-troubleshooting-chart.html

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll check into dirty connections. The wires go from back of od off button to top of trans?

#6 ·
No, they go to the computer. Get a scanner on it to read codes. Key trick doesn't work on that year.

Follow the wires from the trans driver side up. look for damage and bare wires. Unplug it at the trans and look for corrosion and water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.