Cummins Diesel Forum banner

belt or pulley problem, help!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BSmechanic24 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I was going down the road this cold morning and pulled in a gas station for a drink and came back out. Well traffic was bad and I was sitting waiting to get out and heard this awful squealing and squelching and thought it was car ahead of me aso I pilled out and it was me. So I pulled in the post office and left it running and looked under the hood and belt was very logos and squeeling bad so I went and cut it off. Well I looked and everything looked completely normal. But the belt was super loose and has less than 2000 miles on it. I don't know if its the tension or or what. It was half way off the AC condensor. So my grandmother lives about 3 minutes away so I cut the belt off and took off to her house. Now I'm here waiting for it to warm up a little to go see what the problem is. I looked at my parents 12v and it looked just like mine but mine is super loose. Any help???

#2 ·
Check your tensioner, and check the bearings in the idler on the tensioner, I've had them go out and it sounds awful!

#3 ·
Okay I went out and looked and every thing was normal so I grabbed my old bet and rapped it around the tensioner and pulled and it just stayed where I pulled it so the spring must be broke. I got a whole assembally for 60 bucks. Plus I'll need a new belt. I'll have to replace it this afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.