Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Starting Issues

965 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
hey guys, first ill start out by saying I have read through a lot of posts to try and figure my problem out but im not sure my problem is the same as others. I looked through the stickys and still not having luck finding a definite route to go.

I bought my truck back in April. From that day it has had a little starting issue- ONLY after sitting for the night. When I would go out and try to start it originally it would not stay running unless i gave it a little bit of throttle to get it going then after about 10 seconds it would stay running on its own. I bumped up the idle after seeing some stuff on this forum about it, and boom never had to mess with it again. FYI right now the idle is about 850 in park warmed up, but cold its like 700-750.

So i went to start it today after it sat for about a day and didnt give it any throttle 4 times it just started for a second and died, then i gave it throttle while cranking it died twice and on the third try it started. Smoked HEAVY white when it finally started running and after about 30 seconds it ran on its own with no throttle. After it is running there is NO starting issue whatsoever, no power issues. This is strictly after sitting a little while like overnight and trying to start in the morning. Im thinking the cold weather made my issue worse it got in the teens here last night. im thinking air in the fuel/fuel bleeding back? Just looking for some insight from experienced people.

NOTE: Im a diesel mechanic so feel free to throw whatever at me. Pump is modded with a fuel plate, smoke screw is turned up?? When i rev it up in park it goes up to 3k, i do not know if that means it has 3k gov springs just trying to give as much info as i know.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks all in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.