Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help, Need advice!!!

986 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  country_hick 
#1 ·
hey , i have a 97 12 valve cummins, all stock! I wanted to order a 4K GSK kit, 60lb valve springs, and i want to also do full laser cut dilivery valves! will the truck need headstuds , i know it will kill the tranny but ill take it easy , i wanna know if there is anything else id need to do to the motor with those 3 things ?? The truck also has no fuel plate and the AFC tuned .. Thanks!:confused013:

#2 ·
hey , i have a 97 12 valve cummins, all stock! I wanted to order a 4K GSK kit, 60lb valve springs, and i want to also do full laser cut dilivery valves! will the truck need headstuds , i know it will kill the tranny but ill take it easy , i wanna know if there is anything else id need to do to the motor with those 3 things ?? The truck also has no fuel plate and the AFC tuned .. Thanks!:confused013:
The GSK and the valve springs are safe. The laser cut dv's will probably eat your transmission. Install the GSK and springs but forget the dv's.

#4 ·
I'd agree with Country Hick. No one can resist the loud pedal once you have the power. The transmission is the achillies heal with your truck. I've got a BD trans and its been chewing that up too!

#5 ·
studs will only be needed if you upgrade your turbo or blow a gasket from miles and have to tear it apart anyways. Your stock hx35 will or should explode before that happens lol and DV arent really needed the 4k springs will help alot. Any reason your doing 60lbs valve springs tho? our trucks come stock with 60lbs springs in them. i would go with 90lbs or bigger if you plan expanding your power later on.

#6 ·
The 60# springs are 60# more than stock. They are a heavier spring that will resist valve float above 3,200 rpm.

The stock springs are not as stiff and can float above 3,200 rpm. The 24 valve trucks cam with heavier valve springs, The 12 valve trucks need an upgraded part.

#8 ·
#10 ·
As far as I can tell it is just brand name. Like comparing fel-pro to victor reinz gaskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.